When are nuptial flights in Virginia?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

explorer2103

When are nuptial flights in Virginia?

Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:20 pm

I live in Virginia and have started to look for Camponotus queens but have not been able to find any. The conditions have been perfect, it just heavily rained two days ago, it is warm and humid, there is no wind, and I live in the woods. I have been looking in logs, under logs, and under rocks. I have become suspicious that the nuptial flights may be over. I have seen many people say that Camponotus fly from May-July but others say that they only fly in May or only in June. I've even seen people say that they have found them in mid-July. I have decided this must be due to the timing being different in different regions. I can't find anywhere online or on the forums that can tell me when to look for Camponotus in Virginia. Is it too late, do I have to wait until next year?

AnthonyP163

Re: When are nuptial flights in Virginia?

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:43 pm

No, you will not have to wait until next year. I live in North America too, Ant flights tend to happen early in the morning, just as the sun is coming up, so in other words 6:00 7:00 8:00. But, I have been able to find queens all day long, I'm just saying morning is the best time to look. They have flights throughout spring AND summer. Camponotus (sorry if I spelled wrong) usually fly through May and July. You say you live in the woods, so I recommend to find a flat place to look, like a sidewalk or something. Queens may be running around there.

Good luck!

Jharrell23867

Re: When are nuptial flights in Virginia?

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:59 pm

They are flying now... & a few just got done flying & are already starting new small nests...

I just caught a Camponotus Castaneus today & a few days ago i caught a Camponotus Modoc in Virginia.