New colony hibernation query

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Potatoh

New colony hibernation query

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Got my first queen around 5 months ago had them in a test tube for 3 months, until there was around 20 worker ants around 1-2 month ago i have put the tube into the outworld with the new nest connected. In the 1 month period a few ants have ventured out however they don't seem to be moving I have even placed food and attempted to force them to remove with light and heat. I'm assuming they may need to hibernate, I'm from the north west UK.

Can anyone advise? Not sure what seasons ants tend to hibernate in the UK, it's not too cold outside at the moment around 14-12 degrees Celsius during the day and 5-8 degrees at night).

JoeHostile1

Re: New colony hibernation query

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 am

They don’t want to move from the test tube because it’s a perfect home for them. So they won’t move unless your force them or until the test tube completely dries up.

All the ants in the UK are hibernating right now. If they haven’t moved out of the testube yet then I would hibernate them in the test tube. Because the test tube is a very safe way to hibernate ants as well. You don’t have to worry about humidity in a test tube.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA