Just started building my formicarium, Need advice!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Stoaked

Just started building my formicarium, Need advice!

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:26 am

So as the title suggest I just started building my ant formicarium and so far I've layed pebbles on the bottom, charcoal ontop(thin layer) then I have a thin shade cloth separating all that from the dirt layer which I've gone on to sterilize the dirt by putting it in the oven at 80 Degrees with foil over the top for 30 minutes.

Am I along the correct path? I also have a question about adding rocks into the formicarium. I've washed this massive rock with detergent and then poured boiling hot water over it. Would that steralize the rock enough the for inside for it to lay in the soil or do I have to steralize it properly? I also have a blue tarp(plastic) that I would like to place in the soil to make a mini pool, would that be sterile enough for the formicarium?

Any help would be much appreciated!

UnrealSparks

Re: Just started building my formicarium, Need advice!

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 am

Sick setup you're building there!
I've never tried but have you seen Ants Australia's video on how to build a natural formicarium like you're doing? It's been a while since I saw it but he should explain almost everything.

About sterilization I think putting the rock in a pot filled with boiling water should be enough. But I don't know if just pouring the water on it will do it.
I'd also like someone else's opinion about that :roll:

As for the tarp, as long as ants won't drown, I think you can try.
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus

Stoaked

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:23 am

Thankyou :D and yeah thats the video I watched! I'll update the thread with pics!
Also another question about lighting, what wattage globe do i use for ants?

UnrealSparks

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:51 am

Sorry if it took me quite some time to reply but I've been quite busy lately. :?

Definitely looking forward to those pics!! :D

As far as the lightning I think it depends whether or not you're also placing plants that require a direct source in your vivarium. The ants, having a nest below the surface, I don't think will care about the intensity of the light but if they are species which like heat I'd go for some hotter lights (Not too hot though, like reptile ones).

I'm no expert in this field though, so take my words more as an advice. ;)
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus