Test Tube Water Changes

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

techno2560

Test Tube Water Changes

Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:52 pm

Alright so i know how to do the test tube set up, no issues. And i get the idea of how to transfer the queen to a new test tube if the water runs out/cotton gets moldy. But the thing is, in all the views it appeared that there was no eggs so the transfer is easy to complete.

So my question is, how do i change test tubes if the queen has eggs, roughly 10+? i made the mistake of using a shorter test tube(still has plenty of water), but it appears that the cotton holding the water back is getting moldy, so i need to put the queen and eggs in a new tube(will be a longer tube this time LOL).

Any advice how to move both the queen and eggs without too much stress? the ant species is camponotus penn.

idahoantgirl

Re: Test Tube Water Changes

Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:06 pm

well, there is two methods that I know of. number one is to tape the new test tube to the old test tube and just put some little pinholes in the tape so that she has air. then over the new one so it is dark and possibly shine a light on the old test tube. she will just pick up her eggs and migrate to the new test tube. the other method is to cut a small piece of a drinking straw and wedge it between the cotton covering the old test tube and between the cotton covering the new test tube. then cover the new one, shine a light on the old one, and she will move. keep in mind though that it can take several days for her to move if she is stubborn.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

techno2560

Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:09 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:well, there is two methods that I know of. number one is to tape the new test tube to the old test tube and just put some little pinholes in the tape so that she has air. then over the new one so it is dark and possibly shine a light on the old test tube.
Thanks i'm giving this a try right now. Im surprised this topic wasn't covered in the test tube videos (or was it? :? )

larynx

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:26 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:well, there is two methods that I know of. number one is to tape the new test tube to the old test tube and just put some little pinholes in the tape so that she has air. then over the new one so it is dark and possibly shine a light on the old test tube. she will just pick up her eggs and migrate to the new test tube. the other method is to cut a small piece of a drinking straw and wedge it between the cotton covering the old test tube and between the cotton covering the new test tube. then cover the new one, shine a light on the old one, and she will move. keep in mind though that it can take several days for her to move if she is stubborn.
techno2560 wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:well, there is two methods that I know of. number one is to tape the new test tube to the old test tube and just put some little pinholes in the tape so that she has air. then over the new one so it is dark and possibly shine a light on the old test tube.
Thanks i'm giving this a try right now. Im surprised this topic wasn't covered in the test tube videos (or was it? :? )
to be honest i wouldn't worry about a little mold. it shouldn't cause a problem until it starts to get "out of control", so to speak. ants deal with small amounts of mold in nature, and are fine. but if she must be moved then antgirls methods are correct. you just want to be very careful and watch how she is acting and such.
the workers are usually the ones that make the decision to move the queen and brood, so she may be a little reluctant to do this on her own, but should.
videos and such on this subject are mostly in the "ant Journals, Videos, and Blogs section", also randomly in other sections like "ant care and ant keeping" section.
here is a video i did last year of one of my first colony moves.
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=513
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Jharrell23867

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:05 pm

Thanks i was wondering this my self actually as i am debating on if i will keep a recently caught Queen i put into a test tube set up...

HopetheAnt

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:22 pm

My Pogonomyrmex Calafornicus queen has run out of water in her test tube setup. She has roughly 5 eggs and no workers. I don't have any other test tubes to transfer her into, so how do I give her more water? If I try to transfer her will she bring her eggs? She had about 17 eggs earlier, but she ate most of them out of stress. I don't want her to lose her remaining eggs or die.

Please help!

idahoantgirl

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:51 pm

you are going to have to buy some test tubes. If you don't have anywhere to get them, try a local flora shop and ask for water piks.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Nickz6

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:43 am

Hi i caught a camponotus ant queen quite a while ago and she has laid 4 eggs but her water is kinda running out. (It was a small test tube) Is there a way to add more water?

TheRealAntMan

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:49 am

You can use a syringe to inject water.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

idahoantgirl

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:27 am

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:49 am
You can use a syringe to inject water.
This will most likely cause flooding.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,