Beginner needs help choosing species

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

antsbeaufort

Beginner needs help choosing species

Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:10 am

I've had a lifelong interest in ants (I bought the EO Wilson/Holldobler book back in 1990) and am just getting started with a formicarium. I'm using a 10 gallon aquarium with a 4" high cast grout tunnel nest wrapping two sides and siliconed to the glass. The areas behind the grout blocks are sealed off from the ants, and there is an outworld above the blocks. I have not finished landscaping the outworld yet until i find out the ant species I will have and any particular needs they have. I will be doing some independent research, but would like some advice from experienced keepers on the types available in my state. Thanks for any help you can provide.

1. Pheidole metallescens
2. Nylanderia parvula
3. Pheidole navigans
4. Dorymyrmex bureni
5. Nylanderia cf vividula

I live in southern South Carolina, if that makes any difference in the selection.

thanks again,

Kevin Spicer

AntsDakota

Re: Beginner needs help choosing species

Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:32 pm

antsbeaufort wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:10 am
I've had a lifelong interest in ants (I bought the EO Wilson/Holldobler book back in 1990) and am just getting started with a formicarium. I'm using a 10 gallon aquarium with a 4" high cast grout tunnel nest wrapping two sides and siliconed to the glass. The areas behind the grout blocks are sealed off from the ants, and there is an outworld above the blocks. I have not finished landscaping the outworld yet until i find out the ant species I will have and any particular needs they have. I will be doing some independent research, but would like some advice from experienced keepers on the types available in my state. Thanks for any help you can provide.

1. Pheidole metallescens
2. Nylanderia parvula
3. Pheidole navigans
4. Dorymyrmex bureni
5. Nylanderia cf vividula

I live in southern South Carolina, if that makes any difference in the selection.

thanks again,

Kevin Spicer
I would say your best bet would be any species from the genus Pheidole.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Ngeeants

Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:25 pm

I am new to ant keeping and currently keeping what i think is camponotus nearctictus and i think it is easy to keep

AntsDakota

Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:11 am

Ngeeants wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:25 pm
I am new to ant keeping and currently keeping what i think is camponotus nearctictus and i think it is easy to keep
I keep them too! And so far it has been pretty easy.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

antsbeaufort

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:23 am

thanks for the help!