Semi Claustral Queens, help

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

TheRealAntMan

Re: Semi Claustral Queens, help

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:37 pm

LearningAntz wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:07 pm
TheRealAntMan wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:51 pm
LearningAntz wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:17 pm
Not polygamous, but polygynous. Even so, they sometimes will fight.

Myrmica can not be identified to the species with close examination.
Actually, some Myrmica can be ID easily without close exmination like Myrmica Rubra.
the second part of the binomial nomenclature shouldn’t be capitalized.
I'm aware that the specific epithet isn't supposed to be capitalized. It's just something I do.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

AntsDakota

Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:59 pm

Ankrauser wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:12 pm
So with the help of an ant keeping discord, I was able to narrow down what my 3 queens were. I have 1 Lasius latipes/murphyi/brevicornis (not sure which, just narrowed it down) and 2 Myrmica rubra/stenamma/myrmecina (same as the first.) I live in Minot, North Dakota and caught them 1 week ago. I found out they're semi-claustral and they need to be hibernated. I was thinking of creating and tub and tubes set up for them. My questions are: first, should I keep the 2 myrmica together in the same set up as I've heard they're polygamous, and second, should I be hibernating them in their test tubes set up or hibernate them in a tubs and tubes set up as they're all semi-claustral? Thank you!

Any other advise for a new and first time ant keeper is also welcome!
For your Lasius queen- if she is long, skinny, and red, she is most likely Lasius latipes. Lasius murphyi is pretty rare, and has only been recorded once in North Dakota, so it's most likely not near where you live. But I would need a picture.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Ankrauser

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:37 am

AntsDakota wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:59 pm
Ankrauser wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:12 pm
So with the help of an ant keeping discord, I was able to narrow down what my 3 queens were. I have 1 Lasius latipes/murphyi/brevicornis (not sure which, just narrowed it down) and 2 Myrmica rubra/stenamma/myrmecina (same as the first.) I live in Minot, North Dakota and caught them 1 week ago. I found out they're semi-claustral and they need to be hibernated. I was thinking of creating and tub and tubes set up for them. My questions are: first, should I keep the 2 myrmica together in the same set up as I've heard they're polygamous, and second, should I be hibernating them in their test tubes set up or hibernate them in a tubs and tubes set up as they're all semi-claustral? Thank you!

Any other advise for a new and first time ant keeper is also welcome!
For your Lasius queen- if she is long, skinny, and red, she is most likely Lasius latipes. Lasius murphyi is pretty rare, and has only been recorded once in North Dakota, so it's most likely not near where you live. But I would need a picture.
Here's some pictures of the Lasius queen.

http://s313.photobucket.com/user/ank-91/library/Black%20Queen

I figured I'd add in my other one, too. Would be cool if it was a Mrymica Rubra.

http://s313.photobucket.com/user/ank-91/library/Black%20Queen/Orange%20Brown%20Queen