Next Spring's Plans

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Atiggerx33

Next Spring's Plans

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:32 am

So I'm going to go for a queen next spring. I'll be going outside after every rain, searching for those weird looking holes (the ones that signify a new queen), and shining some lights at night. Anyhow if I do manage to catch a nuptial flight queen I am going to have the test tube adapter thing that's sold here, so the ants can switch tubes in case of mold growth without there being a hassle. How do you tell is a species is claustral or semi-claustral? I mean obviously if I can identify then yeah, but I'm new and have no idea what I'll be catching other than that it'll be a NY species. When I do catch should I put a small food item in the chamber, just in case, until she's been identified?

Also the weird looking holes with the loose dirt that signify a new colony... sometimes I see bees going in and out of holes that look like that. I'm more than a little scared I'm going to dig up a bee's nest and get attacked. I'm not allergic, but that wouldn't be my idea of a good day.

AntsDakota

Re: Next Spring's Plans

Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Atiggerx33 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:32 am
So I'm going to go for a queen next spring. I'll be going outside after every rain, searching for those weird looking holes (the ones that signify a new queen), and shining some lights at night. Anyhow if I do manage to catch a nuptial flight queen I am going to have the test tube adapter thing that's sold here, so the ants can switch tubes in case of mold growth without there being a hassle. How do you tell is a species is claustral or semi-claustral? I mean obviously if I can identify then yeah, but I'm new and have no idea what I'll be catching other than that it'll be a NY species. When I do catch should I put a small food item in the chamber, just in case, until she's been identified?

Also the weird looking holes with the loose dirt that signify a new colony... sometimes I see bees going in and out of holes that look like that. I'm more than a little scared I'm going to dig up a bee's nest and get attacked. I'm not allergic, but that wouldn't be my idea of a good day.
Semi claustral queens have a smaller, skinnier abdomen and a smaller thorax. They also would have a larger head and jaws for hunting food.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25