NEW TO ANT KEEPING!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

xDarthWonkax

NEW TO ANT KEEPING!

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:25 pm

I’m new to the Ant Keeping community and I’ve been watching AntsCanada’s YouTube channel and I wanna start raising my own colony but I don’t even know where to begin. I live in Kentucky, United States. Any advice?

cheetawolf

Re: NEW TO ANT KEEPING!

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:06 pm

well its almost winter time, and ants are going into hibernation. better start nest spring
Fellow Ant Keeper!
Youtuber
Channel name: Evador (please check out my channel that would be epic)
link-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-7SIjQbnXF6_w-5cCT9A7A

GAN farmer in BC Canada

JoeHostile1

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Check to see if there are any GAN farmers that live near you if you want to buy a colony. Or wait till spring and try and catch your own queen.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

AntsDakota

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:33 am

xDarthWonkax wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:25 pm
I’m new to the Ant Keeping community and I’ve been watching AntsCanada’s YouTube channel and I wanna start raising my own colony but I don’t even know where to begin. I live in Kentucky, United States. Any advice?
There is one GAN farmer in Kentucky that actually has ants. The GAN page says he is from Lexington, if that is convenient enough for you. He has Lasius americanus, Formica subsericea, and Crematogaster cerasi.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25