messor barbarus in Netherlands

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Allcor

messor barbarus in Netherlands

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:12 pm

Hey all,

I am glad to announce I have a start set ordered and on the way. I am exited to start a nice little colony.

When reading about what species of ant to get my eye fell on Messor barbarus. They seemed native to Europe and with majors and interesting foregoing behaviour. I did find a legitimate looking seller, but checked the nursery project anyway.
Lasius niger was the only species I could get from local GAN farmers. Then it dawned on me, Messor barbarus was only native to the south of Europe.

I am so disappointed. And trying to talk it right for myself. There are no natural borders so with global warming they will be native anyway. Or that nature conservation has trouble with grasses out competing more interesting species, and Messor barbarus could be beneficial here. Anyone want to pitch in?

AntsDakota

Re: messor barbarus in Netherlands

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:41 pm

Allcor wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:12 pm
Hey all,

I am glad to announce I have a start set ordered and on the way. I am exited to start a nice little colony.

When reading about what species of ant to get my eye fell on Messor barbarus. They seemed native to Europe and with majors and interesting foregoing behaviour. I did find a legitimate looking seller, but checked the nursery project anyway.
Lasius niger was the only species I could get from local GAN farmers. Then it dawned on me, Messor barbarus was only native to the south of Europe.

I am so disappointed. And trying to talk it right for myself. There are no natural borders so with global warming they will be native anyway. Or that nature conservation has trouble with grasses out competing more interesting species, and Messor barbarus could be beneficial here. Anyone want to pitch in?
Is this ok with your government? And by the way, importing alien ant species can also spread diseases to the environment. Messor could also destroy crops and become a major agricultural pest.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Allcor

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:21 pm

It's a good question, I have no idea what my government thinks of this.

They seem to have an physical shop though. Can't be smuggling right?
https://www.antskingdom.com/ants.html

Did AntsCanada himself not have species not specifically native to the region? Or are those like the black crazyants, alreaddy ivasive because of trade and stuff?

Allcor

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Checked the official list of invasive species that are actively exterminated. No ants on there.
https://www.nvwa.nl/onderwerpen/invasieve-exoten/unielijst-invasieve-exoten

Somewhere else i found 6 species that are worrysome, as they seem to have wild colonies.
Linepithema humile,
Plagiolepis schmitzii,
Tapinoma nigerrimum-complex,
Lasius neglectus,
Pheidole pallidula,
Plagiolepis pygmaea
http://www.eis-nederland.nl/exotischemieren

And finally, according to European legislation I would be allowed to take a Queen trough European country borders. So I should be good legally.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/animal-plant/index_en.htm

So i think Messor barbarus should be ok to keep. Obviously still won't release them.

AntsDakota

Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:40 pm

Oh, I thought you were wanting to release a large population into the wild to control the grass population.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25