New Antkeeper questions

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

ProZocK

New Antkeeper questions

Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:47 pm

Hi everyone, I got myself a Lasius Americanus queen with around 12 workers, and I would like to know if it would be unsafe to move them from their test tube to an actual formicarium I have purchased from AntsCanada.

I want to do this because Im getting worried about how clean the test tube is, as I am having a hard time cleaning it up since Im afraid I will hurt one or more workers while doing it.

JoeHostile1

Re: New Antkeeper questions

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:05 am

Typicaly you would wait till around 25 workers or so to ever move a colony from one test tube to another. 12 is is very small to put into a large nest. But yes, you could still do it.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

ProZocK

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:26 am

JoeHostile1 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:05 am
Typicaly you would wait till around 25 workers or so to ever move a colony from one test tube to another. 12 is is very small to put into a large nest. But yes, you could still do it.
Thank you. I just want to make sure it wont be detrimental to them in some way to have more real estate on this point in the colony development, from your answer I take it it wont be bad.

JoeHostile1

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:31 am

They may not like having more space than they need. But the only detrimental part would be that small colonies often start a garbage dump inside the nest as opposed to in the outworld. Their garbage pile could start to mold, but I never had any problems moving small colonies into nests that are too big for them.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

AntsDakota

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Lasius colonies usually grow fast. A Lasius cf. americanus colony that I had in the past grew to about 30 workers before hibernation!
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25