Green headed ant escaped!!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Ben3473212

Green headed ant escaped!!

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:17 am

I found my first ant queen a couple of days ago and discovered it was a green headed ant, common in Australia, so put it into a test tube inside a plastic tub because they are semi claustral. The tub had no lid but this was not a worry because green headed ants can't climb plastic or glass and I even put a mixture of rubbing alcohol and baby powder around the top. I watched as the ant tried to climb but couldn't, not even a millimeter high no where near the powder and it was still slipping on the plastic. The ant had one wing which it tore off inside the enclosure. I had some almond nut pieces with some honey on them in they enclosure. I then put it inside a cupboard and left it for an hour. I came back to check on it and it the ant was gone. I don't know how it got out because it can't climb plastic and I was using baby powder and rubbing alcohol for extra protection. If someone could tell me their thoughts on how it escaped that would be great. I'm wondering if maybe another creature got in and took it away.

AntSprites

Re: Green headed ant escaped!!

Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:44 am

Did you leave the tub inside or outside?

AntsDakota

Re: Green headed ant escaped!!

Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:49 pm

She could be hiding, or found a crack in your enclosure.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25