Hibernation time

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

oOFutteOo

Hibernation time

Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:22 am

Hallo all

I have some questions about hibernation, i have Lasius Niger and were wandering when and how long they need to hibernate. When i look at the ants outside they are mostly gone so i guess they have started their hibernation but, my ants have it nice and warm and have access to plenty of food, so they don't need to hibernate to escape winter. But i'm guessing that hibernation is part of their life cycle so i don't want to take it away from them.
:?: But when should i start it and when should i stop it.

JoeHostile1

Re: Hibernation time

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:49 am

Typically you would hibernate them for the duration of your winter since that’s what they would do in the wild. I live in Canada and I hibernate my colonies from November 01 - April 01. I’m not sure if those dates line up with your winter or not. If you don’hibernate them they will perform very poorly throughout the winter and most likely lead to a shorter lifespan for the colony.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA