New BC ant lover curious about permits and rules

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

AzarinEvil

New BC ant lover curious about permits and rules

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:51 pm

I am brand new to this, I've been trying to find laws and regulations for ants and bug catching.. the only ones I can find are for import of ants (72 species apparently legal to import), and the general list of CAS animals which contains zero insects and thus apparently even keeping the invasive myrmica rubra fire ants isn't illegal. I am curious if any other BC residents or Canadian residents in general might know what I am missing here.. or is my first impression right?

cheetawolf

Re: New BC ant lover curious about permits and rules

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:01 pm

i live in bc, and i think its ok
Fellow Ant Keeper!
Youtuber
Channel name: Evador (please check out my channel that would be epic)
link-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-7SIjQbnXF6_w-5cCT9A7A

GAN farmer in BC Canada

LearningAntz

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:06 am

AzarinEvil wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:51 pm
I am brand new to this, I've been trying to find laws and regulations for ants and bug catching.. the only ones I can find are for import of ants (72 species apparently legal to import), and the general list of CAS animals which contains zero insects and thus apparently even keeping the invasive myrmica rubra fire ants isn't illegal. I am curious if any other BC residents or Canadian residents in general might know what I am missing here.. or is my first impression right?
All queens you find you’ll be able to keep. You can even purchase queens from anywhere within Canada and get them shipped to you. Outside of Canada though, you’ll need a permit.

JoeHostile1

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:13 am

Where did you find the list of the 72 species that don’t require a permit? Can you post a link please?
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

AzarinEvil

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:34 pm

JoeHostile1 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:13 am
Where did you find the list of the 72 species that don’t require a permit? Can you post a link please?

The 72 species do require a permit to import, but are shockingly legal to import
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/plant-pests-invasive-species/directives/imports/d-12-02/appendix-1/eng/1433209372739/1433209373489#a15

The 72 I quoted are all of Section 5, might be few more under another section that I missed