New to ant-keeping. Tips Appreciated!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

ProperJob

New to ant-keeping. Tips Appreciated!

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:40 am

Hello AC family,

I very recently bought a Lacius Niger queen, she's in a test tube settup at the moment along with 5 workers and brood.

Fed them with a drop of sugar&honey which was well recieved followed by a fruit fly, two of the workers seemed to attack it (it was already dead) but didnt seem very interested, I then read online that it can cause the queen to be threatened to be presented with insects if she doesnt have enough workers? Maybe some have a few pointers for me, I realise its getting close to hibernation for them and want them to be well set up for that time.

Additionally, I made a little cork nest of which I will post a pic, it's not quite finished but any criticism and ideas would be welcomed, I'm new to this so anything helps! Plus I don't want to harm the ants.

I still need to add ports for ventilation and eventually for the connection to an outworld, I also don't know how people keep these sealed nests clean? Also, I feel like I may have put too much sponge in there, though I suppose the ants should pick the most comfortable spot to nest, assuming they dont want to stay in the test-tube.

Thanks in advance!

cheetawolf

Re: New to ant-keeping. Tips Appreciated!

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:55 pm

just give them a day or two, they'll come around to eating it
Fellow Ant Keeper!
Youtuber
Channel name: Evador (please check out my channel that would be epic)
link-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-7SIjQbnXF6_w-5cCT9A7A

GAN farmer in BC Canada

ProperJob

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:19 am

As you said Cheeta they ate (most of) the fly overnight, I'm amazed how much honey and insects they seem to be able to go through for such a small colony!

Here's a pic of the nest I made - https://puu.sh/Br6Ew/53f50f7694.jpg
Not sure the sponge hydrator corner is too much/not enough, opinions much appreciated :D

Hunter36o

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:46 am

Lasius a very hungry ants I got to see this first hand yesterday while feeding my many queens with workers. The queens wmet straight for the honey and the workers went to the protein for the larvae. The leg was almost gone this morning and no drops of honey were left. These girls can eat like there is no tomorrow. Also recently discovered they like green grapes. I only gave a bit to one Lasius colony and one to my Myrmica queens they had ate so much u could see a clear hole half way into the grapes.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

TheRealAntMan

Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:06 pm

ProperJob wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:19 am
As you said Cheeta they ate (most of) the fly overnight, I'm amazed how much honey and insects they seem to be able to go through for such a small colony!

Here's a pic of the nest I made - https://puu.sh/Br6Ew/53f50f7694.jpg
Not sure the sponge hydrator corner is too much/not enough, opinions much appreciated :D
Lasius is known to be primarily nocturnal.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

ClashOwenBash

Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:28 am

I find they are active during both day and night.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!