Adoption of ants

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Puncarlol

Adoption of ants

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:06 pm

I was wondering if the 20 or so workers that my dead queen left behind, as she passed away today, can be adopted by another Crematogaster queen, given the fact that is a small colony with about 5 more pupas.

If anyone has experimented with this before I'd love to know how did it go and tips.

Thanks!
Crematogaster Ampla x2
Ectatomma Ruidom
Pheidole Reclusi
Dorymyrmex Insanus
Odontomachus Erythrocephalus

All in founding stage ;)

JoeHostile1

Re: Adoption of ants

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:37 am

Its really hard to get adult workers to get along. You didn’t mention how many workers the living queen has, but if it’s just a few you could get rid of them and then try to introduce the 20 workers one at a time to the living queen, as long as they are not attacking her.

But for 20 workers it’s probably going to be a lot more work than it’s worth. I would take any larvae, eggs and pupae from the queen that died and give it to the living queen. And then just dispose of the 20 workers.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

Puncarlol

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:21 am

That could be a possibility however I feel like a criminal for abandoning thw old colony. I have tried it already but the workers try to sting thw new queen so I removed her immediately.
Crematogaster Ampla x2
Ectatomma Ruidom
Pheidole Reclusi
Dorymyrmex Insanus
Odontomachus Erythrocephalus

All in founding stage ;)

AntsDakota

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:21 pm

Puncarlol wrote:
That could be a possibility however I feel like a criminal for abandoning thw old colony. I have tried it already but the workers try to sting thw new queen so I removed her immediately.
Crematogaster do not sting, but spray acid.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

TheRealAntMan

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:30 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:21 pm
Puncarlol wrote:
Crematogaster do not sting, but spray acid.
Crematogaster don't sting nor spray formic acid. Though they do have stingers but they don't actually use it to sting their victims. Instead they use it to exudes chemical signals to nestmates and to smear defensive chemicals on enemies.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.