Queen has less eggs than when she started?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

beattie282

Queen has less eggs than when she started?

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:17 pm

Hello All,

Iam very new to ant keeping and finally took the plung after watching lots of AntsCanada videos haha.

When the Queen arrived she had a visiable clump of eggs with her inside the test tube, hard to estimate how many.
About a week later i noticed she was runnig low on water, she had enough to make do but i was going away on a trip so i strapped a second test tube filled with water cottent etc and hopes she would move before my trip, she did not. When i came back she had still not moved even thought she didnt have much water left at the origonal end.

So i left her hoping she would move, which she finally did. This is where the problem comes in, i can see about 2 - 3 of what i think are eggs but its hard to tell since they are tiny haha, (need to get magnifying glass) she started with way more than that. the clump i sopke of is no longer visable?

I noticed i have a bit of mold in the cotton but not much at all, could this be the reasoning for the loss of eggs?

idahoantgirl

Re: Queen has less eggs than when she started?

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:24 pm

She could have eaten them from stress, or they could just be on the white cotton and you can't see them.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

beattie282

Re: Queen has less eggs than when she started?

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:45 pm

I hope that she hasmt eaten thwm fros stress. I have kept her in the dark and only checked on her once a week ish. Ill update when i get a magnifying glass to check.

Thanks for the advice idahoantgirl