What to do with ants if I'm leaving for vacation?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

rogueant

What to do with ants if I'm leaving for vacation?

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:52 pm

Dear ant lovers,

After watching a bunch of AntsCanada's videos, I've decided to create a farm. However, a large number of issues still loom in my head.
For starters, what should I do with my ant farm if, say, I'm leaving for a month? I travel a lot, so I don't know what I would need to do with the farm.

Any answers would be deeply appreciated!

idahoantgirl

Re: What to do with ants if I'm leaving for vacation?

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:24 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzyuyKaVZbs

Here ya go
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Nate515

Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:44 am

idahoantgirl wrote:

Here ya go
The whole advice in that video of "get someone to feed and water your ants while you're away" sounds a bit, um.....I mean, that would be an 'of course, if that was even an option' kind of solution. But what if you don't got anyone that wants to waste their time to feed your ants? Usually, the people that can do it that are close enough with me that want to do it is on vacation with me for a whole month, most likely family. Most people going to look at me like "wtblank dude..." at the THOUGHT of doing that. It's already hard enough with a cat, dog or bird, no way in F are they gonna come over to water your ants.

The water advice is kinda okay but don't they need sugar water and I can't have sugar water out for long as it gets moldy or end up fermenting if warm. And what about food?

The only thing kinda useful is forced hibernation or lower the temperature to a certain degree so they eat and drink A LOT less?

So basically, anyone got ideas to deal with ants yourself while on a month long vacation and it's not hibernation season?

I skimmed through that video at a certain point so if I missed anything vital....do tell.

Antloverhuman

Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:57 am

Nate515 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:44 am
idahoantgirl wrote:

Here ya go
The whole advice in that video of "get someone to feed and water your ants while you're away" sounds a bit, um.....I mean, that would be an 'of course, if that was even an option' kind of solution. But what if you don't got anyone that wants to waste their time to feed your ants? Usually, the people that can do it that are close enough with me that want to do it is on vacation with me for a whole month, most likely family. Most people going to look at me like "wtblank dude..." at the THOUGHT of doing that. It's already hard enough with a cat, dog or bird, no way in F are they gonna come over to water your ants.

The water advice is kinda okay but don't they need sugar water and I can't have sugar water out for long as it gets moldy or end up fermenting if warm. And what about food?

The only thing kinda useful is forced hibernation or lower the temperature to a certain degree so they eat and drink A LOT less?

So basically, anyone got ideas to deal with ants yourself while on a month long vacation and it's not hibernation season?

I skimmed through that video at a certain point so if I missed anything vital....do tell.
This was of 2018 so i don't think they'd care anymore :lol:
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

Nate515

Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:24 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:57 am
This was of 2018 so i don't think they'd care anymore :lol:
Yeah I know, it's more for my use as I'm wondering about it. Was trying not to make a new post and revive this one.

Some guy on another platform mentioned that he has a certain nectar and ant feeder that can dispense the feed without getting moldy I think (still waiting on his reply). I wonder then for food if you can put a bunch of dried mealworms from the can and it would be safe and okay for a whole month.

Being new to ants, I'm unsure of how much they can eat and if certain foods would rot during that time.

Nate515

Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:23 am

Alright so I did some research and this is what I found. Correct me if I'm wrong, any knowledgeable insights on the issue is welcomed. So for those that might have the same questions, here are some of the info that I've gathered but definitely do your own research to double check it:

1 MONTH VACATION:

1. Feed your ants a lot of protein before you leave. Until they're fat but watch out for too much uneaten stuff (sanitary reasons of course), large bits should be remove before leaving. This should help with the protein side of things.

2. Protein jelly that's made for pets, from what I've been told, can last a few weeks or maybe a month as long as it doesn't get too warm. This should go along with number 1. So when you get back, throw away. Protein is important but they should be okay not having it for a little while. It's the sugar water / water that's more important during this time.

3. Sugar water: Buying premade ant nectar seems to be more mold resistant. However, sugar water made with sanitized test tubes, cotton, clean water and clean hands seem to last quite awhile as well, enough for the month. Some people say they put it on a feeder dispenser made for ants works while others say beware of possible flooding if things go wrong with the dispenser so they recommend the test tube method more. So this takes care of the sugar water.

4. Water: Fresh water in a test tube should work plenty fine. Again, with all sanitized materials including cotton and hands.

5. Keeping your ants at the lower gradient of the temperature should lower their metabolism so they require less food/water while you're away. Like if there's a range of 68-80, keep them around 68F.

There is talk about ants that don't exactly go through hibernation but more of a rest period during the colder months. They can slow way down around 18F (though for your specific ant, you should check exactly what those temperatures are). Though I think the above (1 thru 5) should be fine for a one month period. If you're gone for longer, then I guess you should hope for the colder months to come and lean on that and hibernation (IF your ants actually do need hibernation).

Temperature should be maintained with a thermostat, preferably one with dimming capabilities so that no dangerous temperature spikes happen while you're away. Some thermostat can regulate the electrical output to a heating device in order to keep the temperature +/- 1 degree of your desired temperature so there's fewer spikes of lows and highs. Some have a power relay that turns off your heating device should anything malfunction. Better to be slightly cold than burnt to death, even if the ants can move around a bit.