Myrmica rubra question

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

KimNorway

Myrmica rubra question

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:54 am

I got questions on what I think is 'common' M. rubra, dwarf queen variety. How do you recognize so small queens? I tried capturing winged alates earlier, and only got males. Is Camponotus better for beginners than the small Myrmica ants?

ClashOwenBash

Re: Myrmica rubra question

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:49 am

KimNorway wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:54 am
I got questions on what I think is 'common' M. rubra, dwarf queen variety. How do you recognize so small queens? I tried capturing winged alates earlier, and only got males. Is Camponotus better for beginners than the small Myrmica ants?
If you can get a Camponotus queen that would be preferred as founding a Myrmica Rubra colony can prove difficult as they are semi-claustral (requires an outworld for foraging immediately) and prefer to found a colony starting off with multiple queens.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

KimNorway

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:01 am

Thanks.
I see it mentioned around the web the simplest way to get Myrmica rubra is to capture one of the semi-claustral queens under a rock or something in sunny days. I will see what I can get. The only other type of ant i actually know of in my area is Formica rufa, a social parasite.

ClashOwenBash

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:49 am

KimNorway wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:01 am
Thanks.
I see it mentioned around the web the simplest way to get Myrmica rubra is to capture one of the semi-claustral queens under a rock or something in sunny days. I will see what I can get. The only other type of ant i actually know of in my area is Formica rufa, a social parasite.
It depends where you are as it is known that Formica rufa queens can found a colony without needing to be parasitic but only in certain areas. (Plus if Formica Rufa are around, you'll probably find some Formica Fusca nearby.)
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!