Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

AntsRus420

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:51 pm

I just caught a camponotus pennsylvanicus queen in my back yard this morning. How do i know if she's mated or not she still has her wings? Is it rare to find queens of this species this late in season?

CDColgate

Re: Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:47 pm

Good afternoon. I am new as well, but have an armchair knowledge from my research. In my probably wrong opinion, it is awfully late for that species, but I dont know where you are located. That said, catching a queen elate with wings doesn't necessarily signify anything. Assuming she is properly ID'd and claustral, test tube setups work well and give it time. Use the tutorial videos found here.

AntsRus420

Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:08 pm

I live in the Chicago area, and I already have her in test tube set up...... :o as I'm typing this I just spotted another queen wow

CDColgate

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:07 pm

Congrats! All the local Camponotus are slow growers, so take 2 to 4 years to grow to a mature colony with majors.