Ant Species Identification and Advice

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

sugarfree

Ant Species Identification and Advice

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:29 pm

I have been watching AntsCanada for close to a year and a half and always wanted my own ant colony. I have 3d printed smaller setups for class rooms and schools near my house but they were never designed to house a growing colony, something I have desired to do for a while now. All summer long I have kept my eyes open and glued to the sidewalks, trails, and even porches for a chance at encountering a queen. With fall quickly approaching I was beginning to lose hope. With my last active hunt unsuccessful along a hiking trail with great ant activity I was ready to throw in the towel. But then I got the best luck of my season. Today I was fortunate enough to find a newly emerged queen ant. She was tucked under a tire of a truck near my apartment and with a little ingenuity I was able to capture her and get her into the closet thing I have to a test tube set up. I know that she is of the Lasius genus but I am unsure of what species. I will post pictures below and more if needed once she has settled down. There are two things that concern me. One is the set up I have her contained in. it is a glass vial I had left over from a past project and what I have currently been holding onto in my field bag for such an occasion that I find a queen. It is approximately 3 inches long and 1.5 inches it taken up by the cotton ball and water. Is it a suitable set up or should I get a larger test tube to house her in? Second is that she still has her wings. When I caught her she made no attempt to fly and was given plenty of opportunities but all she seemed interested in was crawling around to cover. I am still holding onto her as she settles down in her tube.(still a little restless) Is she fertilized or is this queen destined to never lay eggs? Thank you for all the help.
https://imgur.com/a/1oKSrq4

sugarfree

Re: Ant Species Identification and Advice

Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:08 pm

Update: unfortunately I came back to my apartment today to find the ant dead in her test tube. Not really sure what happened but I will go out and try again for another.

idahoantgirl

Re: Ant Species Identification and Advice

Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:01 pm

Sorry for your loss. It may have been a male. BTW the presence of wings is no indication of having mated. Plenty of queens never shed their wings and still produce a healthy colony, and others shed their wings but die.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile