Considering moving my queen to a small container, need advice.

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Nhsbk2602

Considering moving my queen to a small container, need advice.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Hello, I just set up and created a small out world.
http://imgur.com/gallery/U3lnZa2 I have a Formica queen with pupae and no first worker yet. I'm considering putting a small straw through the cotton on her test tube and putting her in this little container. There is also some little chambers I created out of clay but im not sure I should allow access to them or if I should block the entrance. Any advice would be very helpful.
Also, for my Formica Subsericea (field ants), should I get fluon (I don't know where/how) or should I use Vaseline? I've heard Vaseline works well for larger ants?

AntnoobSG

Re: Considering moving my queen to a small container, need advice.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:02 am

I prefer baby powder + rubbing alcohol or just baby powder
Keeper of :
Camponotus albosparsus x2 :o
Camponotus Irritans ;)
Hoping for pheidole colony :D

idahoantgirl

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:15 am

i have personally found Plain baby powder to worker better than when mixed with alcohol.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Nhsbk2602

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Plain baby powder is very messy though, right? Also it's a small container with no exit as the lid has been covered with material, only a small area exists for air flow.

What should I do with my queen? Is it okay if I put a small hole in her tube and let her explore this new land or would that be a bad idea

idahoantgirl

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:36 pm

Plain baby powder isn't that messy. It's best if you can apply it upside down, but it shouldn't be too big of an issue right side up. Use a dry cotton ball, dab it in some baby powder, shake off excess baby powder, and dab it onto the sides of the outworld. If your queen is fully claustral then she will not forage. Ever. She doesn't need food until she has workers. Then the workers will forage in the outworld. Keep her in her tube. When she gets her first workers use a one inch section of drinking straw wedged between the exit cotton and the side of the tube as a tunnel. Don't feed them in the tube as this causes stress and mold outbreaks. What type of clay did you use? Is it non toxic and water absorbent? otherwise it won't be able to be hydrated. Also note that your colony will live in it's tube until it meets the 25-50 count.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile