I need help

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

AntKeeper1111

I need help

Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:34 am

I was just wondering if a black garden ant queen will eat raisins because I’m trying to start a colony but I don’t know what food is best for the queen

Silver

Re: I need help

Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:58 am

You can just feed her sugar water, or honey water and even fruits like apples(not cores or seeds as they contain cynide) and bananas. I am not sure about resins but you could try. Also, if you are starting a colony, I am guessing the queen does not have any workers. They are fully claustral so they don’t need any food and will survive on water alone until the first workers emerge. You could feed her a small energy boost befor she lays eggs to increase the size and health of the brood. :D
Keeper of Lasius Niger colony. :D

idahoantgirl

Re: I need help

Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:42 pm

Raisens a do not contain a high enough water content for small colonies. Like silver said, fully claustral queens do not need to be fed until the first workers arrive. I personally do not suggest feeding your fully claustral queens as it stresses them out, leaves their tube a mess, and causes mold outbreaks. They survive and feed the brood from the wing muscles on her back.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile