lasius niger hatching time

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

oOFutteOo

lasius niger hatching time

Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:19 am

Hallo

I was wandering what the time frame is from egg is laid til the ants come out on lasius niger. I have 5 queens and i'm pretty sure they are L N. they are caugt 4 weeks ago.
3 weeks ago there were no eggs.
1 week ago there were eggs larva and pupae.
now i wonder how long i can expect before i can see the first workers?

i Want to give them some food as fast as possible after they hatch to give them the best possibility to develop. But i don't want to disturb them unnecessary.

ClashOwenBash

Re: lasius niger hatching time

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:17 am

oOFutteOo wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:19 am
Hallo

I was wandering what the time frame is from egg is laid til the ants come out on lasius niger. I have 5 queens and i'm pretty sure they are L N. they are caugt 4 weeks ago.
3 weeks ago there were no eggs.
1 week ago there were eggs larva and pupae.
now i wonder how long i can expect before i can see the first workers?

i Want to give them some food as fast as possible after they hatch to give them the best possibility to develop. But i don't want to disturb them unnecessary.
Don't stress too much about the food. I've had queens go through hibernation before wanting food. But I do suggest you give them the option. They normally want food 2 days after the first workers emerge as they need time to settle and to harden their exoskeleton.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

oOFutteOo

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:27 am

thanks

I have divided them in 2 groups, so i can check on them twice a week and only disturb any given colony once a week. :D

ClashOwenBash

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:35 am

oOFutteOo wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:27 am
thanks

I have divided them in 2 groups, so i can check on them twice a week and only disturb any given colony once a week. :D
I hope they are in separate test tubes though as they will fight eventually.

oOFutteOo

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:44 am

:o :shock: yes 5 test tube, but 3 i one cupboard and 2 in another nice and dark place. in the midel of the week i looked in on the cupboard queens and in the the weekend i can look in on the the dark place :D . That way me and my kids dont have to be so patient and only look once a week :oops: :roll: :D

ClashOwenBash

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:10 am

oOFutteOo wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:44 am
:o :shock: yes 5 test tube, but 3 i one cupboard and 2 in another nice and dark place. in the midel of the week i looked in on the cupboard queens and in the the weekend i can look in on the the dark place :D . That way me and my kids dont have to be so patient and only look once a week :oops: :roll: :D
Ok. Your fine