Camponotus "Sugar Ant"

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Sol1174

Camponotus "Sugar Ant"

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:47 am

Given to me as camponotus consobrinus, i know these gals mainly need sugary sustenance such as honey, sugar water, oranges ect. But dont they still need protein for their growing lavae?

What are some other food you have had success with? Id like to give a variety of things but so far its just been mainly what i mentioned above...

I was offered this colony from a local who had to move and id like to do my best to help these guys thrive

I'm recently new to ant keeping and only really have a few queens in their early stage other than this colony i was given

Cheers Sol

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Camponotus "Sugar Ant"

Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:24 pm

Sol1174 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:47 am
Given to me as camponotus consobrinus, i know these gals mainly need sugary sustenance such as honey, sugar water, oranges ect. But dont they still need protein for their growing lavae?

What are some other food you have had success with? Id like to give a variety of things but so far its just been mainly what i mentioned above...

I was offered this colony from a local who had to move and id like to do my best to help these guys thrive

I'm recently new to ant keeping and only really have a few queens in their early stage other than this colony i was given

Cheers Sol
Yes, this is what most people forget. Ants need protein AND carbohydrates. I have had successs with fruit and soft bodied insects with this genus.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…