In search of a mentor!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

antperson24

Re: In search of a mentor!

Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:20 am

ChristinaandAtticus wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:28 pm
So, we picked up a small colony of Camponotus pennsylvanicus in a test tube that has 20-30+ (hard to see exactly) workers and a bunch of larvae. The colony is getting ready for hibernation and the GAN farmer we got it from said they are no longer eating. We have it at 18 deg C right now and are planning to eventually put it in a fridge for hibernation. Not sure how slowly I need to bring the temperature down and if 5 deg is a good temp to bring them down to.
Once we bring the colony out of hibernation, we want to introduce it into a formicarium. Is the 8" X 8" formicarium from AntsCanada too big? We plan to use the time while the ants are hibernating to research and construct an outworld and formicarium for the colony. Any help and/or tips on this would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Christina and Atticus
The way you are going to hibernate them sounds good. As far as the formicarium goes, I would wait about a month after hibernation before moving them in. Here is how I make my outworlds:
1. Get an acrylic box.
2. Drill two holes, one in each side. Make sure you start with a little drill bit, and slowly use bigger ones.
3. Drill at least 25 little holes in the lid, so as to let in air.
4.When you are ready to use it, make sure you apply a good layer of baby powder and rubbing alcohol.
Here is what mine looks like:https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y8HMhvKJ5qwrc7Td7
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

ChristinaandAtticus

Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:28 am

Thanks, that’s great! The picture helps a lot! So, then do u attach the formicarium from the hole on the side using tubing? And the other hole is for a test tube with water for hydration?

One more thing: just noticed this morning that all of the ants are huddled in the test tube close to the cotton ball next to the water except for one. The 1 ant is crawling around the cotton stopper on the other end. Does he need food? The colony is still at 17-18 degrees. When can I put it in the fridge?I don’t think I’ll be able to bring down the temp slowly. The mini-fridge I have is reading 4-5 degrees.
Thanks again for all of your help! Wish we could meet & see your ant colonies in person, but I see u live in the US! We’re in Canada!

antperson24

Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:51 pm

Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:28 am
Thanks, that’s great! The picture helps a lot! So, then do u attach the formicarium from the hole on the side using tubing? And the other hole is for a test tube with water for hydration?

One more thing: just noticed this morning that all of the ants are huddled in the test tube close to the cotton ball next to the water except for one. The 1 ant is crawling around the cotton stopper on the other end. Does he need food? The colony is still at 17-18 degrees. When can I put it in the fridge?I don’t think I’ll be able to bring down the temp slowly. The mini-fridge I have is reading 4-5 degrees.
Thanks again for all of your help! Wish we could meet & see your ant colonies in person, but I see u live in the US! We’re in Canada!
Yes to the first question. And I would give them a little drop of honey before you hibernate them.
If you would like to see some of my ant colonies, you can check out some of my ant videos:https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=26323

ChristinaandAtticus

Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:59 pm

Happy New Year!
My son and I have decided to bring our Camponotus sp. colony out of hibernation. His school project is due end of Feb and we want to be able to have something to observe and to have time to introduce them into a new formicarium.
They are currently in a test tube set up attached to a small portal. There are at least 30 workers and a bunch of larvae in the tube. They are still in the fridge but we just turned the power off. Wondering when we should start feeding them and should we start with a honey drop? Also, when should we give them protein (cut open meal worm?)? We plan on keeping them in this set up for a bit before we attempt to move them into the new Mini Hybrid nest we purchased.
Any help from all of you kind ant enthusiasts would be much appreciated! TIA

Christina and Atticus

antperson24

Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:56 am

Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:59 pm
Happy New Year!
My son and I have decided to bring our Camponotus sp. colony out of hibernation. His school project is due end of Feb and we want to be able to have something to observe and to have time to introduce them into a new formicarium.
They are currently in a test tube set up attached to a small portal. There are at least 30 workers and a bunch of larvae in the tube. They are still in the fridge but we just turned the power off. Wondering when we should start feeding them and should we start with a honey drop? Also, when should we give them protein (cut open meal worm?)? We plan on keeping them in this set up for a bit before we attempt to move them into the new Mini Hybrid nest we purchased.
Any help from all of you kind ant enthusiasts would be much appreciated! TIA

Christina and Atticus
I would say give them some honey in a week, and then a day after that give them some protein.

ChristinaandAtticus

Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:38 pm

Thanks! They’re moving around a bit more and a couple are near the door. We’ll patiently wait.
Christina

antperson24

Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:38 am

Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:38 pm
Thanks! They’re moving around a bit more and a couple are near the door. We’ll patiently wait.
Christina
I'm sure that sooner than later they will go out to see what smells so good!

ChristinaandAtticus

Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:50 am

So we put a drop of honey in the portal and a couple of ants did come out and ate some I think. However, some time overnight they deposited a bunch of garbage right into the sticky drop. This is not the first time they've done that. Before hibernation they did the same thing when I gave them a drop of honey. Why are they putting garbage in their food? Maybe because the portal is so small there's nowhere else to put it?
Thanks for any input that you can provide. Also, my son would like to put an acknowledgement of all your help in the written part of his project. I'll refer to you as antperson24 from the AntCanada Ant Forum!

Christina

antperson24

Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:02 am

Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:50 am
So we put a drop of honey in the portal and a couple of ants did come out and ate some I think. However, some time overnight they deposited a bunch of garbage right into the sticky drop. This is not the first time they've done that. Before hibernation they did the same thing when I gave them a drop of honey. Why are they putting garbage in their food? Maybe because the portal is so small there's nowhere else to put it?
Thanks for any input that you can provide. Also, my son would like to put an acknowledgement of all your help in the written part of his project. I'll refer to you as antperson24 from the AntCanada Ant Forum!

Christina
Ants do that to hide the food from other animals, and also so they don't get stuck in it. Also, I would be just fine with being in the acknowledgments. :)

ChristinaandAtticus

Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:23 pm

Haven't been on here for a little while. Happy to report that the ants are doing well in their new nest and huge connected outworld! My son wants to know what the recommended humidity level should be in the outworld for Camponotus. We have a fan blowing over the outworld which we made a mesh cover for. We thought it was probably too humid in there hovering between 60% and 65% humidity. We've brought it down to about 50% with the fan.
Thanks as always for all the help!
Christina and Atticus