Nuptial flight for beginner

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Bravelittleonion

Nuptial flight for beginner

Tue May 17, 2022 12:32 pm

Hi guys

Last winter I was introduced to the fascinating world of ant keeping. Now I'm looking for a queen ant. But I don't want to buy any, since I think finding a queen and seeing the first eggs is a really nice part of the hobby.
I know about the wheater indications for nuptial flights. Near my workplace I found an ant nest. It is full of winged ants. I know these are not yet furtalised. But I wonder now, if this means that they will fly out soon. Can someone tell me? Sadly I couldn't find anything about that on the internet.
Additionally I'm not sure what kind of ant they are, I guess some form of camponotus, since they have their nest in a tree (I know some other species do that as well, but it's just a guess)

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Nuptial flight for beginner

Tue May 17, 2022 4:30 pm

Bravelittleonion wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:32 pm
Hi guys

Last winter I was introduced to the fascinating world of ant keeping. Now I'm looking for a queen ant. But I don't want to buy any, since I think finding a queen and seeing the first eggs is a really nice part of the hobby.
I know about the wheater indications for nuptial flights. Near my workplace I found an ant nest. It is full of winged ants. I know these are not yet furtalised. But I wonder now, if this means that they will fly out soon. Can someone tell me? Sadly I couldn't find anything about that on the internet.
Additionally I'm not sure what kind of ant they are, I guess some form of camponotus, since they have their nest in a tree (I know some other species do that as well, but it's just a guess)
We can get you a genus ID(I can’t get species unless in North America but I am sure others can get species)if you upload a picture to imagur and link it here

If it’s Camponotus, try warm, humid nights
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Bravelittleonion

Wed May 18, 2022 2:36 am

Hi
https://imgur.com/gallery/YR0Mwev

This is the only picture I have. I'm not sure if you can see enough to get an idea. After some research I think that they are lasius fuliginosus, which would not be fit for a test tube setup, right?

Antloverhuman

Wed May 18, 2022 3:57 am

Would it be possible to get a clear photo of just the winged and/or a worker? Its very hazy and i can't tell at all what species they are. Also what is the size of the workers or alates in millimeter?
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony