Feeding new colony

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Dazza188

Feeding new colony

Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:24 am

My queen garden ant (UK) has recently hatched about 10 new workers and I am a bit lost at what to feed them.

I have tried giving them a small fly but they just moved it with their rubbish and I ended up removing it after about 3 days. I also leave some honey water but I never see them feeding.

Any tips on what I can feed them? They are about 3 weeks old and I can’t say that they have had a ‘proper meal’ yet. Should I be worried?

Much appreciated

Dazza188

Re: Feeding new colony

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:25 pm

Dazza188 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:24 am
My queen garden ant (UK) has recently hatched about 10 new workers and I am a bit lost at what to feed them.

I have tried giving them a small fly but they just moved it with their rubbish and I ended up removing it after about 3 days. I also leave some honey water but I never see them feeding.

Any tips on what I can feed them? They are about 3 weeks old and I can’t say that they have had a ‘proper meal’ yet. Should I be worried?

Much appreciated

They seem to like corned beef 😌