Advice needed!!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Cornelia

Advice needed!!

Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:57 am

Hello

My son is mad about any type of bug, and we caught queen ants without realising what they were. He then placed 4 in the same container and they burrowed down and laid eggs. We only realised they were queen ants on their nuptial flight after the eggs have been laid. Now I have 4 queen ants in the same container with quite a bit of larvae already.. What can I do to save most or all of them?? I don't want them to fight and injure each other.

Any advice or ideas?
Many thanks!

AccidentalAntKeeping

Re: Advice needed!!

Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:08 pm

Can you tell apart which eggs belong to which queen?
If you can, you might be able to put them in separate set-ups, but VERY GENTLY. If not, you might consider putting each queen in a separate set-up with a reasonable amount of brood. Best of Luck!

Cornelia

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:30 am

Hello

Thank you for the response! From the little I can see, 2 of them has new starter ants that's hatched. Should I still try and scoop them up? I've got little acrylic ant nests (only one chamber) which should be perfect for a new colony.

antnest8

Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Did the queens nest together?? They could possibly be polygenous (allowing for multi-queen colonies). Do you have any pictures to identify the species?
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants