Camponotus sp.

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

JaxonWhittaker

Camponotus sp.

Sat May 23, 2020 6:41 pm

I have caught 2 black carpenter ant queens, I want them to make a colony together, How do I make them meet and be nice?

NKantsalberta

Re: Camponotus sp.

Sat May 23, 2020 6:45 pm

JaxonWhittaker wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:41 pm
I have caught 2 black carpenter ant queens, I want them to make a colony together, How do I make them meet and be nice?
Will be next to impossible. They may co-exist for awhile, but eventually one or both will be killed or severely injured in the process.
Raising 3x Camponotus novaeboracensis, 2x Formica sp, 2x Lasius sp.

JaxonWhittaker

Sat May 23, 2020 7:31 pm

They cant be together?

SkeleAnt

Sun May 24, 2020 12:27 am

If an ant species isn’t polygenous, then no they cannot be housed together. Carpenter ants are NOT polygenous. If you try to have them form a colony together, one or both with die either from attacking each other, or eating one anothers’ brood, brood fighting if they somehow manage to not fight until they both have their own workers, etc. Do not try to house them together or introduce them to one another.
First time ant keeper with 2 formica subsericea queens!