Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

zkublin

Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:04 pm

Hello All. I think there are a few of us on this forum from Massachusetts or similar New England Locations. I just wanted to start a thread where we can post about flights in our area. Unfortunately the weather has been cold and I don't think any flights have begun yet, but when they do, it makes it a lot easier for everyone to find the queens they want if we help each other out.

So lets help each other catch those queens this season and post when we see flights or queens out and about in the New England area.

Thanks all!

zkublin

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:59 pm

The nice weather is finally here! 75 and Sunny today. The ants should be flying soon. Don't forget to help your fellow Ant Enthusiasts in the New England area and post any flights or queens that you see!

Mdrogun

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:13 pm

I have a friend in Massachusetts and according to him Prenolepis imparis have flown multiple times already. He says there might be one more flight but he is unsure.

zkublin

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:22 pm

Mdrogun wrote:I have a friend in Massachusetts and according to him Prenolepis imparis have flown multiple times already. He says there might be one more flight but he is unsure.
Really? Well you should tell him to post on the Forum to help out his fellow hobbyist in the area :D.

Also where in Mass does he live. I live 15 min outside of Boston in a fairly urban area. That's why I need help with flight reports, so I will know when I should head out to the suburbs and go looking for Queens, since not many of them actually fly in the city.

Mdrogun

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:27 pm

zkublin wrote:
Mdrogun wrote:I have a friend in Massachusetts and according to him Prenolepis imparis have flown multiple times already. He says there might be one more flight but he is unsure.
Really? Well you should tell him to post on the Forum to help out his fellow hobbyist in the area :D.

Also where in Mass does he live. I live 15 min outside of Boston in a fairly urban area. That's why I need help with flight reports, so I will know when I should head out to the suburbs and go looking for Queens, since not many of them actually fly in the city.
He lives in Brockton. I don;t know how developed it is.

zkublin

Mon May 16, 2016 2:17 pm

noebl1 wrote:Thurs May 12th in the evening the Camponotus started nuptial flights here in MA near Nashua, NH. Quite a few camponotus pennsylvanicus, as well as caught a couple Camponotus Myrmentoma subgenus of some sort. It also guessing not a coincidence, was the first 80+ degree day in some time in the area looking at my weather station info.
I live in the woods, so seeing camponotus pennsylvanicus queens is super common for me during the summer months, so if anyone's interested, I don't mind grabbing them some.

Really hoping this summer to catch some Lasius Neoniger.

I missed out on the Prenolepis imparis this year too unfortunately. Always next year :)
If you catch any extra Lasius Neoniger later this season and are looking to give some away let me know, I would be happy to adopt! Unfortunately I was in Vegas for work last week so I missed all the good weather around here.

AntsRule

Mon May 16, 2016 2:57 pm

I live in pa and flights usually take place in very large regions so I will post anything I notice! I am crossing my fingers for another Prenolepis imparis flight!!!
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

AntsRule

Mon May 16, 2016 4:12 pm

Thanks!!! What queens have you caught so far? I have caught my first 14 queens!!!! :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

AntsRule

Wed May 18, 2016 9:02 pm

Cool!!!

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

zkublin

Wed May 25, 2016 8:37 pm

noebl1 wrote:camponotus pennsylvanicus are flying right now!
Thanks! I was just about to post the same thing! I caught 2 queens so far in Somerville and Allston, so anyone in urban areas, you can catch them around our area too. One literally landed on me, she was begging to come home with me :lol:

Happy Hunting!