Camponatous maybe??

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

martinnate

Camponatous maybe??

Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:23 pm

Hi everyone, Please help me ID I'm still new to ant keeping but I think she is Camponatous spp. I found her 3/26/16 in Cisco Texas around 3pm. Here are 4 pics of her. Sorry if they are not that great quality.

NikolaMladenovic

Re: Camponatous maybe??

Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:44 pm

Made some research and I think that that is a camponotus noveboracencis. You can google the specie yourself and see if it matches your queen :D
I'm very ANThusiastic :lol:

martinnate

Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:17 pm

Cool, thanks!! So do you know if I should put some type of bedding? Maybe bark or Some Spagnum moss?

soldierjoe83

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:12 pm

I have Campontus n colonys.i say its a good chance but by the pics you cant tell for sure. It could also be Camponotus H. They are so similar. But a campo for sure.

soldierjoe83

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:16 pm

Also don't add any bedding. They are fine in test tubes ir anything that can keep them hydrated clean and warm. Out her in a test tube set up. Look it up if you don't know what it is and let her be in the dark. Seeing she is campo I say you can look at her 1 or 2 times a week.

martinnate

Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:14 pm

Cool thanks so much to all of you. I havent looked at her sinces last Monday. I am in such a hurry to get home to see how my ants made it. My flight home is at 6:55am monday but wont be home till 2:22pm Monday lol I think it was good I left for a week, I would be looking every day. I hope she has eggs. I will get some pics and post. Thanks again.

martinnate

Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:08 pm

Hey everyone, she has an egg as of today 4/6/16 I will let her go a week again b4 I check on her again.

Mdrogun

Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:48 pm

Just to let you know there are a few species of Camponotus that are practically impossible to tell apart without a microscope as colors can slightly vary.

They are:

1. Camponotus chromaiodes
2. Camponotus pennsylvanicus
3. Camponotus noveboracensis
4. Camponotus Herculeanus

These species exist in the same areas and are almost identical in coloration and size. They have the same care and are identical in the way they act. I have a Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony and they are one of the easiest ants to keep. I don't regularly feed or water and they have flourished and the colony has about 200 workers and is growing fast. Good luck

martinnate

Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:40 am

Cool thank you and everyone for all the info u provide. It is very helpful to a beginner like myself.

martinnate

Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:42 am

Ok here she is as of 4/12/16, she has 7 eggs :) I'm so happy.