Camponotus Egg Development?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

jfree3719

Re: Camponotus Egg Development?

Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:42 pm

Hey Dill, i am still an amateur ant keeper as well, but in my experience i have had queens live for up to 3 months before i fed them and their brood. Be patient and let nature run its course. Your queen will be fine:) I haven't kept a camponotus queen yet but from my experience with my various ants they usually take 6 to 8 weeks to turn into a brood. Hope this helps:)

Ants4fun

Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:03 am

Keeping them at warmer temperatures with make brood development a lot faster. They should be hatching any day now by the way.

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:31 am

dillpickle1621 wrote:Hey guys, this is my first colony and I have a Camponotus queen. She has laid a bundle of eggs and has been taking care of them for about two weeks now. How long does it generally take the eggs to develop into brood? Also I am starting to get worried about not feeding my queen. It's been almost a month and I haven't fed her. She doesn't look frail, thin, or tired, so she's probably still ok right?

Thank you so much!

Dillpickle
Yes, I agree. It takes a minimum of 2 months for Camponotus. I find Camponotus ants in general take a longer time to get started but once the colony gets going (usually after hibernation the following year), boy do they explode!
Ant Love Forever.

KingAnt

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:48 am

I've had my Camponotus queen for a month, and she laid her first eggs two weeks ago. The only thing I give her is honey water. She'll drink from it and than go right back to her eggs. I keep my queen in a room that is at 78 degrees. You can always get a heat cable if you want, just don't over heat them.
Looking for a fire ant queen in Manitoba.

KingAnt

Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:53 pm

I put her right into a Formicarium, I didn't have the test tubes in yet so I didn't have any other choice. She walks right up the the water and sticks her head in.
Looking for a fire ant queen in Manitoba.

Camponotus

Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:24 pm

I didn't feed my Crematogaster cerasi queen for about six or seven months. I wouldn't worry if I were you!

Benbo1

Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:24 pm

How long do Lasius Niger queens take I have had mine a week and still no eggs!

EurekaGod

Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:06 am

I recently got interested in antkeeping and got myself a Camponotus queen and after a while she had her own workers and a few eggs. It took quite sometime before the first worker came out - about 2 months and they are currently in hibernation at the moment until September rolls around - just in time for spring (Sydney Australia btw). I'm really keen to see how it'll play out in spring and also excited to see what species are flying then.

EurekaGod

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:40 am

Jonathan21700 wrote:
EurekaGod wrote:I recently got interested in antkeeping and got myself a Camponotus queen and after a while she had her own workers and a few eggs. It took quite sometime before the first worker came out - about 2 months and they are currently in hibernation at the moment until September rolls around - just in time for spring (Sydney Australia btw). I'm really keen to see how it'll play out in spring and also excited to see what species are flying then.
How do you hibernate your ants there? Do ants really hibernate there? Your winter is much hotter than ours.
I basically left them in my garage for the duration of the period. They gathered in one corner at the bottom of this area I made for them and stayed that way. Now, it seems the weather is getting hotter day by day and I can see the workers moving around a lot.

MonsterBro1

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:35 am

I just caught myself two Camponotus Fallax queens myself. Because of the fact that i wont be able to tell if they are fertilized or not until the first batch of brood develops, ive caught as many as i could (which was only two)
The first batch will most likely develop in a little bit more than a month.