My myrmicinae queen found in belgium, Ghent on 10/08/2017

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Brentywenty

My myrmicinae queen found in belgium, Ghent on 10/08/2017

Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:22 pm

This summer on the 10th of august I caught a queen of the genus myrmicinae (I don't know for sure if myrmicinae is a genus or if it's called otherwise.).

Her lenght is about 5 to 6 mm or larger and she has a black-reddish body with a totally black head.

Here are some foto's:

https://goo.gl/photos/GXYmgeRuJdgA99Sf6

Sorry for the bad quality.

Thx, Brentywenty.

#antloveforever
Ants: So small, such difference they make! :shock:

Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Lasius flavus
Lasius cf. niger
Myrmica cf. rubra

Martialis

Re: My myrmicinae queen found in belgium, Ghent on 10/08/2017

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:46 pm

Myrmica sp.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Brentywenty

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:02 am

Thx, but I know like that Myrmica rubra is a semi claustral species and that species is very common in Belgium and I'm just an beginner so I'm affraid for if it's Myrmica rubra that I will kill it because I don't feed or things like that. But I did give a fruitfly once, but she put it on the cotton. Now that I think about that it was maybe just the exoskeleton. I'm asking here to know if it's semi or fully claustral because there are things that indicate that it's semi... or not?

Thx, Brentywenty

Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Lasius flavus
Lasius cf. niger
Myrmica cf. rubra

Martialis

Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:34 pm

This queen is definitely semi-claustral.

Just crush fruit flies and the sort to give to her. Once every week, or whenever she is out foraging is okay.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Brentywenty

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:42 am

I also found this camponotus species in the Woods near my home, but I looked at antmaps and none of the species listed there looked like the ant I found. These are the species antmaps says there are in Belgium: C. herculeanus, C. ligniperda, C. piceus and C. vagus.
I want to know this because next year I'm going to be searching for a queen of this species because I don't have any camponotus species so far. This is just something extra I wanted to put in this topic. Also I'm going to show the life cycle of the myrmica queen if she lives on.
That seems to me like a fun thing to do, so you guys can follow her life.

Here are the foto's: https://photos.app.goo.gl/20zUzTlJ0921lbSk1

Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Lasius flavus
Lasius cf. niger
Myrmica cf. rubra

Brentywenty

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:57 am

Wait, I found the answer myself. It's actually not a camponotus but formica :oops: stupid me
Formica rufa, to be exact. So I actually don't have any camponotus near my home, that's too bad to hear.
But I really need your opinions about showing the life of the myrmica queen. If even just someone says no I won't do it?.
And something else, I gave the queen this morning two fruit flies from the wild(I don't have any farms working with pesticide around my house, so I think nothing's wrong with them) and crushed them automatically while catching. I put them in the test tube and when I came home one was sucked up and the other one was just gone, so I think that's a good sign. Thanks for the tip :D .

Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Lasius flavus
Lasius cf. niger
Myrmica cf. rubra

Batspiderfish

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:20 am

There are other red Formica out there than F. rufa. ;)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Brentywenty

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:44 am

Yeah, but it really looked alot like it was Formica rufa, what species do you maybe think it is??
And I also looked only at the species in Belgium, so I'm pretty sure of it. ;)

Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Lasius flavus
Lasius cf. niger
Myrmica cf. rubra

Batspiderfish

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:12 pm

I would first check for a clypeal notch to separate it from the sanguinea group, but after that there are several rufa-group species where fine details like hair coverage would be necessary to separate them.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Brentywenty

Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:44 pm

Ok so Formica sanguinea is also red but like more orange red and the one on my photo has a black dot on it's mesosoma just like the ants on the pictures when I search for Formica rufa and this means probably that it's a Formica rufa. So there you have it. Subspecies I will identify later, but now I wanna focus on my queen, because in the beginning I gave her an outworld with small gravel and little rocks. But she kept hiding under the rocks, so I kept putting her back in the tube, but with a cotton and a straw that makes a small entrance to the test tube where she can go trough, but still a few days later I found her under another rock. Last week I took away the straw and blocked off the test tube and she recently lost a wing so maybe that's proof she now feels settled, but I'm not an expert so I don't know for sure. And now I'm feeding her in the test tube. But with that thing with the wing, does that mean that I can now let her go adventure, because she knows the test tube is her home. I'm asking for you're help: should I let her adventure or just keep feeding her in the test tube?

Thx, Brentywenty.

Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Lasius flavus
Lasius cf. niger
Myrmica cf. rubra