Pavement antkeeping

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Broodin

Pavement antkeeping

Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:15 pm

Hello everyone from Johnstown PA, USA. What temperatures do tetramorium colonies tolerate? The only place I would have to keep a colony would be in my basement, due to pets and my small children, which averages 20c / 68f. Would a reptile heating coil for the hybrid nest be enough or would I need to heat the room/ outworld to facilitate colony survival?

Sorry for the nubish question but I'm very interested in starting into antkeeping and I want to make sure I can provide for the colonies needs before I risk a queen/colony on a whim.

Broodin, PA, USA

AntViking

Re: Pavement antkeeping

Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:47 pm

If it stays at 68f consistently they should be fine. Ithe may develop a little slower but they will manage. But if you do want to have them more active the coil for just the nest will be perfectly fine

Broodin

Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Thank you very much, I'm obviously new to this and AntsCanada videos have both gotten me hooked and peaked my interest in getting into this hobby. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about Tetramorium before starting so thanks for the helpful info.

hiitsmeiambored

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:58 am

I'm relatively new to antkeeping as well with a failed attempt last year and almost succeding this year (hopefully not much longer now) but I tend to research stuff for ages before trying them out so I know alot. I don't have Tetramorium where I live but I do know that the species I am trying to keep needs 15-20c and where you live is probably warmer than where I live so that should be fine. If you need more information one of my favourite websites is http://www.antnest.co.uk/

idahoantgirl

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:38 pm

if your keeping them in that cold of a room, a heating cable definitely would be advised.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile