all in one recipes?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

larynx

all in one recipes?

Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:31 am

does anyone have any all in one type recipes, for any species they would like to share? or any food they have noticed work well within certain species? :)
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: all in one recipes?

Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:51 am

larynx wrote:does anyone have any all in one type recipes, for any species they would like to share? or any food they have noticed work well within certain species? :)
Well I have found with Solenopsis "Anything that doesn't move!" LOL Naw really it's best to try different things with your ants and see what they like and don't like. I know my Solenopsis like meat (chicken and beef), fruits (apples and watermelon), candy (chocolate, and hard candy), seeds (bird feed seeds), dead insects (crickets, meal worms, and I kill them right when I put them in)....... still trying different things.
Best bet, Trial by Error. As long as it hasn't been treated with pesticides you'll be fine to let them try.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

larynx

Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:56 am

yeah. my monomoriums eat like that. anything not moving. :D
i was thinking of trying to come up with some all in one type of food, that can be premade and kept for a bit. ill experiment next spring.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:03 am

larynx wrote:yeah. my monomoriums eat like that. anything not moving. :D
i was thinking of trying to come up with some all in one type of food, that can be premade and kept for a bit. ill experiment next spring.
Yea Please keep us apprised on your results. I'll still keep feeding them the way I do, I like to watch them tackle different things. :D
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

larynx

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:29 am

i will. you should make some videos of them taking out something. lol they are vicious little things. :)
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Kansablankie

Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:58 pm

My colony is only 10 workers strong right now and I tried a few different types of food. Only one worker is sent out for food.

I bought the Formula Blue from Formica just to give it a try for my Camponotus noveboracensis. To my surprise the worker was there is seconds and stayed a while filling her stomachs. She came back a few times. Since then I have been feeding the rest of the batch and she/they love it. They say it is a balanced diet (sugar & protein).

Once the colony is bigger I will feed other things.

larynx

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:18 pm

Kansablankie wrote:My colony is only 10 workers strong right now and I tried a few different types of food. Only one worker is sent out for food.

I bought the Formula Blue from Formica just to give it a try for my Camponotus noveboracensis. To my surprise the worker was there is seconds and stayed a while filling her stomachs. She came back a few times. Since then I have been feeding the rest of the batch and she/they love it. They say it is a balanced diet (sugar & protein).

Once the colony is bigger I will feed other things.

ohh yeah, ive heard of that stuff. it kinda reminds me of the cricket food gel. that stuff seemed to dry out quickly. :) does the formula stuff do this?
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

FatMug

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:43 am

I read somewhere, a recipe that used chocolate whey protein shake mix, sugar, and water as an all in one solution for feeding ants.

Gregory2455

Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:34 am

I use byFormica Blue 100, as a matter of fact a few of my newer colonies have been living off of nothing but it since founding. It is fairly useful and yes, does dry out relatively fast but this is a very good thing. Ants are not very very clean in their setups sometimes and if it would not dry out as fast as it does, it would quickly mold or grow bacteria on it. I think it was made to dry out fast to avoid this. Also, it is super funny to watch ants social stomachs turn blue. :lol:

antdude

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:25 pm

Allyoutoo wrote:Well the diet described in this document seems to be the magical all in one for most species. (Heck they even mention some fungus growing ants grew their fungus on it, I mean how universal food is that?)
While the Bhatkar-Whitcomb diet is among the most referenced ant diet in scientific literature, you will find almost no peer-reviewed articles that support the claim that it supports the growth of colonies in captivity for more than a few weeks.

Allyoutoo, please kindly proofread and punctuate.