queen ant id, please

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Fernando

queen ant id, please

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:46 pm

http://imgur.com/a/OFUDV

i will not say much, just the important.

the queen was caught in Porto alegre, capital,RS, south Brazil, she is brownish, about 4 milimeter, the workers do not pass 1,5 milimeters, i got some pics of the queen running in a scale, the bigger squares are 1" and the smaller ones are half a inch i have three of this queens, each one in different stages, any questions or ideas of at least the genus helps, thanks

p.s.:sorry for misspelling

Aquaexploder

Re: queen ant id, please

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:11 pm

Appears to be some sort of Lasius. When did you capture her?
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

Fernando

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:17 pm

about four month ago, at the start i thought lasius too, but i live in south brazil, south america, and as long as i know, they do not exist here

Aquaexploder

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:30 pm

Good point. Maybe someone else with more experience of ants in this region can help you.
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

Martialis

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:32 pm

Brachymyrmex patagonicus
Keeper of

Selliing:

Fernando

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:44 pm

finally, after reading a little about brachmyrmex, really thing it is, thanks martis, at least matches with the pics i have found on google, wonder if it is poligynus, because i have three of these, certainly are the same species, when i caught them, i learned that my pool is a ant trap, during camponotus nup flight, the whole surface was black due to all those ants floating, that was how i caught the three ones that i have, and am waiting for september to catch more, now that i have space to house a lot.

if someone knows if Brachymyrmex patagonicus are poligynus, and if they are, if i could or should mix them together, thanks a lot

Martialis

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:49 pm

I think most Brachymyrmex are polygynous, although don't go mixing established colonies.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Fernando

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:13 pm

OK, thanks, i've kind know enough to be successful, but im really not the patient type, my most advanced colony got about 10 workers just now, and its winter here, at least were i live, does not make much cold, but im out of a tropical region, so i needed to hibernate them , and it is really annoying waiting until september to catch more and be able to move them, a relative mine was at us about 2 month ago and got me a tarheelants formicarium, due to the size of my ants and my inexperience, she brought a smaller and cheaper to start with, and it is literally sitting in the back of m closet waiting to be used. :( :(