Is it an Odontomachus queen? Or worker? THE ANSWER MAY SURPRISE YOU! please help me.

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Trillabit

Is it an Odontomachus queen? Or worker? THE ANSWER MAY SURPRISE YOU! please help me.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:12 am

Hello everyone,
I've been looking for queens for quite a while now, and as I was on the phone outside the other day I happened to look down and I spotted a trap-jaw ant. Seeing as it's a semi-claustral species I deduced it might be a queen based on it's size. The next day I went back to that area and I spotted another Odontomachus. She was only slightly smaller than the one I had originally and so I started to become worried that perhaps I had just caught an ordinary worker. I noticed a third and that one was of a similar size to the first one I found.
I went inside and started doing more research. There were some great things from a couple ant youtube channels (including AntsCanada of course) and a couple of threads on this forum were helpful, but I am still having a hard time telling. That's not surprising really seeing as I have never kept ants other than an ant farm kit.

Okay if you didn't make it through that here's the spark-notes version:
I caught one, two, three, trapjaw ants, and being dumb, unsure, and inexperienced I have no clue if any are queens or not.

Boy do I hope one is a queen, I love listing off trap-jaw facts.

ANYWAY, here we go:

Aunt no. 1
The most likely candidate for a queen, she's slightly bigger than the other ones: (Note, she's in an old pill container unlike the other ants)
ALSO, it's hard to distincly see, but she vertically placed her gaster onto the cotton ball for about a second. Egg laying??!?

Anut no. 2
Slightly smaller. With what seems to be a proportionally smaller thorax area? Heck I have no idea, you're the expert here.
Post Scrip: Boy do these next pictures suck, but I'm sorry the ants wouldn't leave the scratched-up test tubes.

Odontomachus with an unknown sub-species (Trap-jaw), documented as the third of this species caught by the human (Or am I?) known as Trillabit:
This pic is REALLY bad, and I am so sorry for anyone who tries to identify the social rank of this ant.

I profusely thank anyone who helps me on this one, and if you know (and share) the full scientific name that would be very much appreciated.
Trillabit

Antsinohio

Re: Is it an Odontomachus queen? Or worker? THE ANSWER MAY SURPRISE YOU! please help me.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:33 am

Ant 1 and 3 are queen ants the full name is
Odontomachus brunneus. I would keep ant 2 just to check if she lays eggs or not. She is thinner then the other two
Hello everyone

Owner of:
3 tetramorium caespitum queens and 1 colony
2 camponotus Pennsylvanicus queens
2 crematogaster cerasi colonies

Trillabit

Re: Is it an Odontomachus queen? Or worker? THE ANSWER MAY SURPRISE YOU! please help me.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:45 am

Antsinohio wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:33 am
Ant 1 and 3 are queen ants the full name is
Odontomachus brunneus. I would keep ant 2 just to check if she lays eggs or not. She is thinner then the other two
Ah! This is such good news! Thank you so much for your help! Trap-jaws are such an interesting species and I'm so excited to be able to keep them.
For the claustral cell I was thinking of a testube setup partially buried in a small sandy tupperware. Any thoughts?
Also are they a species that can house multiple queens in one colony? If not I may just give the extras to my friend, or sell them with the GAN project.
Once again thank you so much

Antsinohio

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:25 am

Leave her in the test tube till she has 20 workers or if the test tube gets to full of ants ts either a Odontomachus brunneus or a Odontomachus haematodus queen some queens can be polygynous but they would probably fight so dont mix the queens together.they eat insects while they are because they are semi claustral if you put them in the container with the test tube open that would be good she has to go out and get food just give her a small dead insect
Hello everyone

Owner of:

Trillabit

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:38 am

Antsinohio wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:25 am
Leave her in the test tube till she has 20 workers or if the test tube gets to full of ants ts either a Odontomachus brunneus or a Odontomachus haematodus queen some queens can be polygynous but they would probably fight so dont mix the queens together.they eat insects while they are because they are semi claustral if you put them in the container with the test tube open that would be good she has to go out and get food just give her a small dead insect
I believe you are correct and they are Odontomachus brunneus.
It says here: http://www.formiculture.com/topic/68-list-of-polygynous-ant-species/page-2 that Odontomachus species are polygenous, so I may have to research it a little more.
I will introduce her to the open test tube setup as soon as I can get a real test tube for her.
Thank you

Antsinohio

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:42 am

It would be good to put her in the Tupperware container so she can put her leftover food and feces out side of her chamber so it will prevent mold. It would be easier to clean up her trash if she puts her trash in the Tupperware
Hello everyone

Owner of:

Trillabit

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:46 am

Antsinohio wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:42 am
It would be good to put her in the Tupperware container so she can put her leftover food and feces out side of her chamber so it will prevent mold. It would be easier to clean up her trash if she puts her trash in the Tupperware
I agree, sounds like a plan. Plus I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they need substrate to pupate.
I may be totally off on that one but she's semi-claustral so she'll like it anyway!

Antsinohio

Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:20 am

Your welcome
Hello everyone

Owner of: