I need help identifying these two queens

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Nobody

I need help identifying these two queens

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:40 pm

I found both of these at a park yesterday in the afternoon. I am currently in Tucson Arizona and I've been trying to figure out the species through antweb but am still a little unsure and could use help. I apologize for the low quality shots it was the best I could do at the moment.

https://imgur.com/gallery/kXACZ

The red ant is around 10 mm long and was found in a rocky dirt type area next to some
Concrete
The black ant was found around some pavement surrounding a pond in the park and is around 6mm maybe?
If anybody knows what they are please let me know help would be much appreciated.

Nobody

Re: I need help identifying these two queens

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:56 pm

This link is the true link the other one doesn't work
https://imgur.com/gallery/sPVqO
Last edited by Nobody on Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Batspiderfish

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:02 pm

Pogonomyrmex sp. and Dorymyrmex insanus.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Nobody

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:20 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:02 pm
Pogonomyrmex sp. and Dorymyrmex insanus.
Thank you so much ! I have one last question about these ants. Do you recommend I try keeping either species if I'm relatively new to the hobby?

Batspiderfish

Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:26 pm

I'm pretty sure this Pogonomyrmex species is semi-claustral, but other than that, it would seem perfectly fine to keep these as your first ants.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.