Please pray for my queens.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Aquaexploder

Please pray for my queens.

Sun May 14, 2017 1:37 pm

So I currently have 2 prenolepis imparis queens in a test tube setup together and their water supply was running low. The test tubes are plastic so I figured that I would just make a small hole where the water was and fill it up. So I made the hole and added some water(it was still far from filled) and noticed that some was leaking through the cotton. The water touched the queens and eggs. After a long and big effort of drying out their test tube useing q-tips I managed tho dry off the eggs and the inside of the test tube. I also completely drained the reservoir leaving them with just the damp peace of cotton. I attempted to get them to move to another test tube but they wouldn't leave. Is their any chance of them surviving? I know I stressed out the queens a lot but it was my last opinion.
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

Batspiderfish

Re: Please pray for my queens.

Sun May 14, 2017 1:39 pm

The water is being held behind the cotton with the help of vacuum forces. The way to replace a dry tube is to give access to a fresh one.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Aquaexploder

Sun May 14, 2017 1:43 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 1:39 pm
The water is being held behind the cotton with the help of vacuum forces. The way to replace a dry tube is to give access to a fresh one.
I was dumb and didn't think of this and now I paid the price. Do you think they will survive?
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

Batspiderfish

Sun May 14, 2017 1:56 pm

They might. It's still pretty early in their founding stages -- they could probably even start over. I would set them up with a new test tube, though. You can leave the tubes mouth-to-mouth in an escape-proofed container. Don't force them to move or anything.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Aquaexploder

Sun May 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 1:56 pm
They might. It's still pretty early in their founding stages -- they could probably even start over. I would set them up with a new test tube, though. You can leave the tubes mouth-to-mouth in an escape-proofed container. Don't force them to move or anything.
Ok will do, thank you!
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

xTNxANTMANx

Sun May 14, 2017 11:47 pm

We all learn from our mistakes. I'm sure we have all made some very poor decisions when first starting this Hobby. I really hope your Queens survive. I hope they are doing okay.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

CamponotusCommander

Thu May 18, 2017 11:18 am

I know how concerned you must feel. I just had one of the most heart breaking happen. A large drop of water drained from the cotton and drowned one of my queens. I felt horrible about it. :(

Aquaexploder

Thu May 18, 2017 2:09 pm

CamponotusCommander wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 11:18 am
I know how concerned you must feel. I just had one of the most heart breaking happen. A large drop of water drained from the cotton and drowned one of my queens. I felt horrible about it. :(
I feel so bad. I wish you the best of luck.
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

CamponotusCommander

Thu May 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks for the support my friend. :) How long have you been keeping ants for?

Aquaexploder

Thu May 18, 2017 2:16 pm

CamponotusCommander wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 2:13 pm
Thanks for the support my friend. :) How long have you been keeping ants for?
I kind of started in October but only found drones. On April 9th I found my first queen which happened to be in the test tube incident.
You?
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)