I Cannot find a queen

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AntsAreAwesome

I Cannot find a queen

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:20 pm

Hello! I have posted some posts earlier this week as to finding queens. I have received great tips but sadly
still finding no queens at all :| it rained liked crazy yesterday and this morning through the afternoon and I looked once the sun came out and nothing at all. I searched everywhere. I even went to the nearby lake and found nothing. I only found one male ant under a peice of wood. I mean, am I doing something wrong? Is this not the right time of year? I mean I thought ants flew anytime of the year in south Florida. In fact I got all my other queens late in the year. I keep finding my dogs water FULL of male ants and have found not a single queen, except a dead one hanging from a spider web. I even checked outside at 7:00 a.m. and did not see any. All I see is dead/alive male ants on the outside light where the spider webs catch them. I also looked under a lot of things today. Nothing at all. I know I sound crazy but I really have been searching all day(and all week for that matter) and don't understand what I am doing wrong? Please help?

JackPayne

Re: I Cannot find a queen

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:21 pm

You've just got to be patient, it took me 2 months.
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?

AntsAreAwesome

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:18 am

I understand. It's just that I just went out to find some queens and I must have seen atleast 200 males dead. Some were still alive. I search around and did not find a single queen. So I don't know where they are going?

Batspiderfish

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:20 am

I don't know where you are, but in temperate Northern regions the nuptial season has barely even begun.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsAreAwesome

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:45 am

I'm in southernmost Florida. I am considered to be like right on he line of temperate and tropical. You pretty much can just consider us tropical.

AntsAreAwesome

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:59 am

Here is a picture of what I mean when I saw males are out in the morning. And I now that queens must be flying because I saw a dead queen

https://postimg.org/image/4lvt6ljir/

Batspiderfish

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:57 am

Ah, ok. Sorry, I didn't read thoroughly enough. Even in Florida, there is going to be a lot more activity as the summer drags on.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsAreAwesome

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:04 am

It's no problem. Thanks though. Do you or anyone else have a scheldule for when ants fly in TROPICAL regions?

xTNxANTMANx

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:20 am
I don't know where you are, but in temperate Northern regions the nuptial season has barely even begun.
Would you say the same thing for Western Tennessee? I'm pretty sure nuptial flights are just beginning here but it doesn't hurt to ask
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Batspiderfish

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:49 pm

I'll try to put something together for you both in a day or so. I have a database I've been working on, but I've been preoccupied by life and other projects to mess with it.