Ants in Peterborough

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Saeyoung

Ants in Peterborough

Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:46 pm

I've been keeping an eye on the ground since the start of April just to see what species were stirring and today I finally saw pavement ant workers! The three species I'm most interested in are Camponotus, Tetramorium, and later Formica.

The temperature here just hit 19-21 Celcius at the highest points and it's nice and sunny. The weather is going to be a bit rainy/sunny on and off for the next few days, so here's hoping I can find something!

When would you suggest I start looking in Ernest for Queens? I've heard that early morning or late nights work best for most species but I can't find a lot of information on the species that I'm interested in. I'm fairly new to ants and ant keeping so any information helps!

Martialis

Re: Ants in Peterborough

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:53 pm

Prenolepis imparis has already started flying. May is usually a good time.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Saeyoung

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:15 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up! I guess I should start looking around trees and stuff.

I also accidentally found and disturbed three queen bees today. I feel guilty.

I found a nest of odorous ants today too. They seem to have great numbers.

Martialis

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:33 am

They always do.

They start to disperse in May and are highly polygynous.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:47 am

Polygyny often does not occur unanimously within a species, and Tapinoma sessile is an example of this. They will be monogynous OR polygynous.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Martialis

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:59 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Polygyny often does not occur unanimously within a species, and Tapinoma sessile is an example of this. They will be monogynous OR polygynous.
I believe this occurs with species density; like in a city they will be versus in their natural habitat they will be monogynous?
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:11 am

Martialis wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:59 am
Batspiderfish wrote:
I believe this occurs with species density; like in a city they will be versus in their natural habitat they will be monogynous?
Studies with Solenopsis invicta seem to indicate that monogyny and polygyny are branching evolutionary paths. It is only beneficial to be polygynous in areas with high colony density of their own species (where competition is too high to found a colony on your own). Monogynous strains do much better at the edges of a species range or in places with fewer members. They can spread and live in the same habitat, but certain environments are more favorable than others. Polygynous strains are also intolerant of monogynous queens.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Martialis

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:18 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:11 am

Studies with Solenopsis invicta seem to indicate that monogyny and polygyny are branching evolutionary paths. It is only beneficial to be polygynous in areas with high colony density of their own species (where competition is too high to found a colony on your own). Monogynous strains do much better at the edges of a species range or in places with fewer members. They can spread and live in the same habitat, but certain environments are more favorable than others. Polygynous strains are also intolerant of monogynous queens.
That's what I meant. Thanks!

If you have it, may I have a link to this article?
Keeper of

Selliing:

Saeyoung

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:05 am

Martialis wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:33 am
They always do.

They start to disperse in May and are highly polygynous.
And here I was thinking they were monogamous. Thanks for all the good info! I've got a lot of learning to do.

Saeyoung

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:30 am

Saw some winged termites today. Always a fun sign.