NW Washington September ants

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Leiningen

NW Washington September ants

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:32 pm

Ant 1
Found this ant in early September in NW WA hiding under a tent flap at the edge of the woods.
It is 8.11 mm long
shiny black

Leiningen

Batspiderfish

Re: NW Washington September ants

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:50 pm

Looks like a Formica sp. most likely Formica lasioides, Formica neogagates, or Formica accreta. Too hard to tell from this distance (don't guess without using a key.)

There's lots of empty space in these pictures -- you might want to crop them in the future.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Leiningen

Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:04 pm

Thanks! Where would I find a key so I can start learning to better identify ants myself?
Crop my next few a little better. I'm also looking into better lens attachments so I can actually show some detail on these little guys. Does anyone have lens recommendations? (For cellphone or cannon)

Batspiderfish

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:07 pm

Leiningen wrote:Thanks! Where would I find a key so I can start learning to better identify ants myself?
Crop my next few a little better. I'm also looking into better lens attachments so I can actually show some detail on these little guys. Does anyone have lens recommendations? (For cellphone or cannon)
I use lens coupling, which is basically just reversing any old lens over the one you are taking a picture with. The picture below was taken with two very old lenses (58mm over 35mm.) There are links explaining methods like these in my signature.

Formica neogagates is very shiny indeed. <3

Oh, antwiki and hol.osu.edu are great for keys.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Leiningen

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:19 am

Here are two closer pictures
Really do love how shiny she is!

Leiningen

Batspiderfish

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:06 am

Hmm, pictures of the antennal scapes (the long antennal segment which attaches to the head) and images of the profile of the body will help.

If you want to get more detail, try using diffuse light by hanging wrinkled up tissue or a coffee filter in front of your flash.

Leiningen

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:32 pm

Spending my evening learning how to use the keys =)
I taped a reversed 24 mm lens to my phone and its working well!
Profile view

face view 1
face view 2

Leiningen

Batspiderfish

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:27 pm

Since there seemingly aren't many standing hairs on the scapes (do you agree?), looks like you have Formica neogagates as well. :)

I would take a close look in person to make sure that the phone camera isn't simply missing them.

Leiningen

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:55 pm

I agree haha. Awesome!!! This is so cool thank you for taking the time to help me out! :D

Leiningen