Failing in ant keeping

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Benjamin

Failing in ant keeping

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:13 am

Ok guys, I won't say I'm new to ant keeping as I've watched countless ant tutorials and caught quite a number of queens last year(starting from 14 May 2016). Although i became inactive in ant keeping(due to exams) from July to September, queens caught on May were kept in my room throughout the months(although I peeked on them once in a while). Well what do you know? On September 15 I checked on them and found out 3/4 of my queens died. I was depressed but never wanted to give up on ant keeping, so with the remaining queens I waited another month patiently just to find out none of the queens' eggs hatched.

So, I'm hoping to get some advice on what to do next as for some reasons the queens are actually still alive. I'm puzzled and frustrated to know that I haven't had an ant colony. Oh yes I forgot to mention that I actually caught a few more queens on October and December, but the same thing happened again no eggs hatched. Some didn't even lay eggs(I checked on them yesterday) and left only a pile of unknown brownish liquid in the test tube.

I would definitely appreciate any help and advices.

Benjamin

Re: Failing in ant keeping

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:43 am

And yes from May till July some queens died as well. What's frustrating is that for about 6 months the eggs haven't been hatching. It really turns me down.

Could all the queens be unfertilized? Is that why they're all dying and the eggs not hatching?

Batspiderfish

Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:12 am

What are they being kept in (materials, etc.)?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Benjamin

Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:15 am

They're all kept in test tube setups with clean cotton and are kept in a dark room

Batspiderfish

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:37 am

Are the test tubes made of glass?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Benjamin

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:13 pm

Yes. All test tubes are made of glass.

Batspiderfish

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:24 pm

Ah ok. It sounds like you are doing everything that you need to. Do you know, for sure, the identities of your queens?

Benjamin

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:29 pm

Not really. But I do know for sure I've caught pheidologeton diversus queens(I emailed antscanda and they identified it as pheidologeton diversus/carebara diversus) and they've all died.
The rest of the queens weren't identified, sorry.

Batspiderfish

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:42 pm

Ah. Carebara (their new name is less misleading because they are hardly related to Pheidole) have a reputation as difficult ants to keep.

Benjamin

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:46 pm

So what do you suggest I do? I still have 4 queens left but I do not know the their identification.
Is it possible to send pictures using phone?