Ant Barriers?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

thegardenant

Ant Barriers?

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:00 pm

Hello there fellow ant lovers! I am soon about to place my ant colony in my out world and nest. I need some ant barrier ideas like the alchole and Baby powder one. What are some good and cheap ideas? Thx

Aussie

Re: Ant Barriers?

Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:16 am

Idk if this helps but I use Vaseline.

MichiganAnts

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:37 am

it will depend on what species you have. you can use the following:

petroleum jelly

extra virgin olive oil 100%

rubbing alcohol and baby powder

fluon

thegardenant

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:49 pm

I have to species that i'm getting ready for: Common Black and and Pavement ant.

I have a question; with the jelly, is it mixed with something to make a liquid state or is there another way? Thanks

P.S. Vaseline as in the skin care product? Thank you again

Martialis

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:55 pm

thegardenant wrote:I have to species that i'm getting ready for: Common Black and and Pavement ant.

I have a question; with the jelly, is it mixed with something to make a liquid state or is there another way? Thanks

yes, the skin product. No, it can be applied directly with a cotton ball or other instrument.
Keeper of

Selliing:

thegardenant

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:08 pm

Martialis wrote:
thegardenant wrote:I have to species that i'm getting ready for: Common Black and and Pavement ant.

yes, the skin product. No, it can be applied directly with a cotton ball or other instrument.
Thanks SO MUCH!

Batspiderfish

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:11 pm

I prefer the talcum mix, personally.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Aussie

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:17 pm

Make sure you reapply the Vaseline regularly if your are going to use it as it can dry out especially in the sun and heat in this time of the year mate.

Pavement ants are currently flying and in great numbers to because of recent storms, however if you do keep them be warned they are brilliant escape artists and may get past Vaseline.

I currently have a Meat Ant colony in a natural set up and use Vaseline as a barrier. As the Meat ants are larger and clumsier then pavement ants they are easily contained.

Cheers