2 Different Species? [New Jersey, USA]

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

HelixHelix

2 Different Species? [New Jersey, USA]

Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:33 pm

Hello!

A few weeks ago, I managed to run into some queen ants!

Temp was ~80 degress

Found between 2-5pm 11-17-2016 in Galloway, New Jersey

The large black lassies seem to be camponatus spp? However, the more spitfire ones are smaller, more yellow, and have darker wings than the others and also have a knack for chewing on the foam stoppers! [Images at end of post]

Now, I am a very novice ant keeper! I have read much about taking care of them, but I work best with experience. I know they will have to hibernate soon, and I have been storing them in my closet, which is much colder than the rest of my house, even with heating. About 40-50 F would be right for that, yes? And the vials I have seem to be running out of water (using my research vials, lol) and some stoppers are collecting black mold. Should I move the girls or ***** water as needed with syringe? And for the other females, I am worried they are not claustral like the hypothetical camps.

My main concern is they have not laid eggs yet, so infertility is an issue :( I was excited to capture a hypothetical camponatus, as they and crazies are my goals to keep. Would they start laying in the spring?

http://imgur.com/a/P92eS
Forgive image quality, my iphone is a mess and I cannot, for the life of me, work my father's hi-tech Canon.

Batspiderfish

Re: 2 Different Species? [New Jersey, USA]

Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:01 pm

The pictures leave something to desire, and you forgot measurements, but it looks like Crematogaster and a Lasius parasite. More pictures and the measurements will get you better results.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

HelixHelix

Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:27 pm

As for measurements: the brownish ones are about .6-.6 mm

The larger black ones weigh in at .7 to .8!

Thank you so much for the help, and hopefully that helps a tad? If it is a Lasius parasite... I'm not equipped to care for her... :cry: I have no nests to have her use to establish. And, which ones is which? I assume the Crematogaster would be the browner, Lasius the black.

Batspiderfish

Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:49 pm

The black 8mm one looks like Crematogaster. The brown 6mm one looks like a Lasius parasite.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

HelixHelix

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:06 pm

Oh boy, this is bound to get interesting...

Thank you for the help! I'll move my way into the help subforum now, ahaha! Looks like the Lasius needs to be released, she's spreading her destructive habits onto the other gals /joke