Odontomachus sp. I need advice.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Geloi13

Odontomachus sp. I need advice.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:06 pm

I got my odontomachus queen ant, for a couple of weeks, it got 4 larvae and couple eggs. Then i tried to feed it once every 2 days, but after a day, what she does is feeding the other larvae to the larger larvae, even though i feed them already. Is this normal? Any advice please...

Geloi13

Re: Odontomachus sp. I need advice.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:33 pm

Geloi13 wrote:I got my odontomachus queen ant, for a couple of weeks, it got 4 larvae and couple eggs. Then i tried to feed it once every 2 days, but after a day, what she does is feeding the other larvae to the larger larvae, even though i feed them already. Is this normal? Any advice please...
I'm feeding her mostly spiders...

AceCadet

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:52 pm

Perhaps try providing a different protein source? The spiders may not be providing all the nutrients required so shes making up for it by feeding the larvae to the large larvae. And if anything provide more protein. Try feeding daily. Worst case you will have to spot clean more but it may even be that she isnt getting enough food. Just keep feeding her, ensuring she has access to water and a sugar source, and Im sure she'll stop cannibalizing the larvae in no time.

Geloi13

Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:26 pm

Any suggestions of protein source because here in Legazpi City, Philippines, its hard to get domesticated insects... i was looking for a pet store that has insect but none I believe. And I do not always take insect in our garden because there's a termite trap, which is of course pesticides... Thank you mate.

AceCadet

Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:40 pm

You could try buying roaches online. I know they are a great protein source. But caught roaches are VERY resistant to pesticides so they arent a great idea if you are just going to feed wild caught. Fruit flies are a good choice for wild caught as they die easily to pesticides and then would not be carrying it. When in doubt shopping online works wonders. Because even if some die in transit as long as a few survive you can breed more easily. And I would greatly recommend upping her food, she wont over eat. And the protein will help her lay more eggs. It may even just be she feels shes not getting enough food.

Geloi13

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:01 pm

Thank you mate, much appreciated... :D

Geloi13

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:46 pm

And another thing, how does the odontomachus larvae turns to pupae ? Because now I got 1 larvae that stop eating and I don't see any silk around because the queen move the larvae sometimes? Is it dead ? The larvae is not moving.

Serafine

Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:02 am

Caught fruit flies and crickets make good food, maybe you can even buy wingless fruitflies on the internet. Just put them into boiling water for 5-6 seconds to remove all the parasites and harmful bacteria. It also kills the food insect instantly and reliably.

Geloi13

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:37 am

Question. Is it necessary to put sand or soil in the test tube? On my own reseach, it said that it's necessary to have sand or soil in order to complete the cocooning stage...

Geloi13

Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:18 am

My queen ants wants to go out of the tube and not eating the sugar or honey i gave her....any suggestions guys? Need it :(