Info & Location of a particular species

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

JustJamel

Info & Location of a particular species

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:04 am

Formica Truncorum

Does anyone have any info at all that they can provide me with, regarding the location of this ant (geographically or retail), and whether or not it can grow (reproductively) beyond 5000-6000 ants within a queen's lifetime?

Regarding breeding:
I have been studying their habits concerning egg laying, in hopes that they would be monygonous vs polygynous. I have read various views that are contradictory. Some say that all female workers lay eggs, not just the queens, while others say that only the queen does. Care puttung this to bed for me? :?

Also been doing a lot of reading (as much as I can find) on this particular breed of Formica in general, and I am barely getting any real information on them. Figured I would ask someone who has experience raising them, as I am VERY interested in raising them also. :D
Just Jamel

There is nothing you can add to unique perfection.
Stay uniquely perfected my friends. 8-)

Batspiderfish

Re: Info & Location of a particular species

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:07 am

This is a Eurasian species, so you won't be able to raise it in Maryland.
http://www.antmaps.org/?mode=species&species=Formica.truncorum

It is a temporary social parasite of other Formica. They just need some worker pupae to found a colony. I wouldn't pay all that much attention to rumors about worker egg-laying. Regardless of whether it is true, the colonies will grow very large.

We have lots of rufa and exsectoides-group Formica in the United States. You'll typically find them in late June and July. Some of the sanguinea-group Formica are better suited to captivity, such as Formica aserva.

Formica obscuriventris might be to your liking:
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

JustJamel

Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:00 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:This is a Eurasian species, so you won't be able to raise it in Maryland.
http://www.antmaps.org/?mode=species&species=Formica.truncorum

It is a temporary social parasite of other Formica. They just need some worker pupae to found a colony. I wouldn't pay all that much attention to rumors about worker egg-laying. Regardless of whether it is true, the colonies will grow very large.

We have lots of rufa and exsectoides-group Formica in the United States. You'll typically find them in late June and July. Some of the sanguinea-group Formica are better suited to captivity, such as Formica aserva.

Formica obscuriventris might be to your liking:

You are freaking awesome! Thanks for the late game sub! I will look into this species. :D

Any tips on good spots to look? (ie: wooded areas, side walks, near ponds or creeks, etc)
Just Jamel

Batspiderfish

Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:36 pm

I'm not sure I've ever seen them in my area, but they like to live on the edges of forests and fields. Look in areas with lots of other Formica species, as she will either be looking for young Formica colonies to attack/steal brood from, or try to find her way back to her mother nest. You are sure to find other interesting Formica during these searches. Formica fly in the morning.

Old, semi-maintained cemeteries are good places to find Formica, but make sure there are lots of trees nearby to find the rufa group.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:13 pm

Oh, and a good sign of the Formica flights are the males, which die quickly after mating. They are about 8-10mm long, and they all look like this, regardless of the queen's coloration:

Notice the sharp bend at the tip of the gaster, which will differentiate them from Camponotus males, as seen below:

Good luck next summer! :D

JustJamel

Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:15 pm

Thank you VERY much!

You've given me every and all info I need to know about the species that you subbed for me to begin with!

Talk about a top contributor! :lol:

Again, you're awesome!
Just Jamel