Is it too late for Virginia?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

killerguppy101

Is it too late for Virginia?

Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:19 am

Hi all, I just stumbled upon AC a few weeks ago, and have gotten really interested in ant keeping. I've watched all the videos and done a good bit of reading and I wanted to try to start a colony. I'm in Virginia (just outside DC), but it looks like all the nuptial schedules I've seen put me a month or 2 too late. Does anyone with more experience see any hope of me finding a queen this year, or do I just need to wait until next? I can't seem to find anyone in VA willing to sell a queen. I'm looking to start with a Tetramorium since they seem easiest to start and grow fast. I'd also like a Camponotus, but that could probably wait until next year.

Is there another way to get started with a small colony? Can I find a small colony outside and try to transfer them indoors somehow? Most of the tutorials I've read seem to do exactly that, but I feel like if I don't get all the ants, the ones left without a queen might die off pretty quickly. If a large colony is suddenly queenless, would the be able to cultivate a new one?

Thanks in advance for the help!

JustJamel

Re: Is it too late for Virginia?

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:14 am

Hi KillerGuppy101,

Whether or not it is too late, I am unsure. I honestly don't think you are too late if you are only a month or so behind, but looking at the time schedule you could very possibly be too late.

I say still give it a try and search. You may still come up with a queen or two. It just may take longer than usual. Your only worries from that point would be that the new queens (after mating) are destroyed by predators (most notably other ants), or environmental hazards.

I hope the attached image helps.

Lot's of luck :D
Just Jamel

There is nothing you can add to unique perfection.
Stay uniquely perfected my friends. 8-)

Batspiderfish

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:30 am

There's still going to be a flight or two in New England, so I don't see why it would be over in Virginia.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

killerguppy101

Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:23 pm

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad there's still hope! I'll try to keep an eye out for the next couple of weeks.