Queen ID

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AnthonyP163

Queen ID

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:09 pm

Now, I know this is gonna be frustrating to some people, but I don't have pictures. (Technology sucks) but I do have measurements.

She has a black head and thorax, and a dark red gaster. She is about 4 mm. And I have 4 of them, they look exactly like Solenopsis Molesta except of course for the two colors.

Solenopsis Molesta is orange, and these queens are black and red. Don't ask for nodes and stuff because I have looked at them enough lol. If you can't ID with that info it's okay.

Thanks!

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen ID

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:39 pm

There's no way for sure without pictures. All I know about the ants are that they are 4mm and bicolored, but how much they look like Solenopsis molesta is subjective. I'm guessing Myrmica, based on the information. A more specific location (i.e. state or region) would help too!

It's best to add the location to every ID request, so that if somebody needs to look at the post later, they will know for sure where the ant comes from. The location in the profile is great and all, but if you ever move or change that information, all of your posts are suddenly missing that important data point. I'm putting together a more comprehensive mating chart that should show the best time of year to look for certain queens in any given location. The current charts are too trusting in the data provided by users and only says which months the queens do or don't fly. I'm hoping mine will be more accurate and also show when the most queens are flying.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

larynx

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:23 pm

Its not "frustrating", its pretty much "impossible". ;)
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

AnthonyP163

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:38 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:There's no way for sure without pictures. All I know about the ants are that they are 4mm and bicolored, but how much they look like Solenopsis molesta is subjective. I'm guessing Myrmica, based on the information. A more specific location (i.e. state or region) would help too!

It's best to add the location to every ID request, so that if somebody needs to look at the post later, they will know for sure where the ant comes from. The location in the profile is great and all, but if you ever move or change that information, all of your posts are suddenly missing that important data point. I'm putting together a more comprehensive mating chart that should show the best time of year to look for certain queens in any given location. The current charts are too trusting in the data provided by users and only says which months the queens do or don't fly. I'm hoping mine will be more accurate and also show when the most queens are flying.
Southeastern Wisconsin :)

AnthonyP163

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:40 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:There's no way for sure without pictures. All I know about the ants are that they are 4mm and bicolored, but how much they look like Solenopsis molesta is subjective. I'm guessing Myrmica, based on the information. A more specific location (i.e. state or region) would help too!

And I'm not too sure it could be as big as Myrmica, Myrmica aren't 4 mm are they??

AnthonyP163

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:41 pm

Oh, and she was found at night.

AnthonyP163

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:52 pm

They're basically Solenopsis Molesta with different colors. Shape, and size are the same. And they seem to be cooperating well with each other.

AnthonyP163

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:54 pm

AHHHHH

Sorry, I'm messing up a lot today.

Head and thorax are RED, not black. Gaster is black. :roll:

AnthonyP163

Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:23 pm

She isn't Myrmica I just caught a Myrmica and it looks nothing like her.

Batspiderfish

Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:20 pm

Gotta have pictures. There are too many small myrmicines.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.