Help identifying (new mexico) (pics included)

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

ThePositive

Help identifying (new mexico) (pics included)

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:15 am

Hey,
Noob ant man here... I caught this beauty here in Northern New Mexico, Taos County in the late afternoon around July 20th. My first thought was that it is a type of Pogonomyrmex because out here in the desert the only red ant I usually see is the red harvesters that build those crazy mounds with little pieces of rock.

IMAGE HERE http://imgur.com/gallery/zj3Tk5W

Is it Pogonomyrmex? If so, what type? Barbatus?

I apologize about the quality of my images. I can try to take clearer if you guys need it. Thanks so much in advance!
πŸ—πŸœπŸœπŸœ 🐜 🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜 🐜

Samoril217

Re: Help identifying (new mexico) (pics included)

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:07 pm

I caught about 7 of these a couple of nights ago. Are they the same specie as the one posted here? Where can I find out all the basic information needed to increase my chances on getting my first colonies started? Fully or semi claustral?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-DnyMcPA358yG4xgeIWGqME1CJdUDPN9
🌾🐜🌾🐜🌾🐜🌾🐜🌾🐜 I love all harvester ants

ThePositive

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:18 am

Samoril217 wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:07 pm
I caught about 7 of these a couple of nights ago. Are they the same specie as the one posted here? Where can I find out all the basic information needed to increase my chances on getting my first colonies started? Fully or semi claustral?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-DnyMcPA358yG4xgeIWGqME1CJdUDPN9
I saw your picture and it looks like what I have. After all my research I am 99% sure what I caught is Pogonomyrmex Barbatus. Which state did you catch her in? I'm still a noob ant keeper but have been fascinated by Pog. Barbatus and have been watching them in the wild for many years now.

The Queens are fully claustral and can survive with barely any water as their main diet consists of seeds which they can retrieve water from! They tend to build mounds in open clearings away from plants and the mounds they build are made of very small pebbles which makes them very noticable. Just Google Pogonomyrmex Barbatus and there is lots of info online. Or ask me because I have been studying them for quite some time now.

Samoril217

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:04 pm

I'm in Phoenix, AZ. I am planning on making a couple of dirt formicariums once I start to see the first brood. I may also buy one AC omni nest also just to see which one does better or is better and which colony is better for observing the growth. I already have an AC Ant Tower Large for one lucky colony.

ThePositive

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:37 pm

I'm in Phoenix, AZ. I am planning on making a couple of dirt formicariums once I start to see the first brood. I may also buy one AC omni nest also just to see which one does better or is better and which colony is better for observing the growth. I already have an AC Ant Tower Large for one lucky colony.
Yeah if you're in PHX then that's most likely Pog. Barbatus. I really want a large AC Ant Tower but because of my budget I'm going to have to settle with 2 small towers for now. If it's cool with you I'm going to send you a friend request and would like to see how your colonies are doing in the future.

Samoril217

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:53 pm

ThePositive wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:37 pm
Yeah if you're in PHX then that's most likely Pog. Barbatus. I really want a large AC Ant Tower but because of my budget I'm going to have to settle with 2 small towers for now. If it's cool with you I'm going to send you a friend request and would like to see how your colonies are doing in the future.
Sure, I will probably start posting update pics soon as I see eggs...going to hide them away for a couple of weeks though to keep me from disturbing them and stressing them out